• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Re-install of OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)
Hey all,

I have a 17" powerbook (power PC) and i back up by dragging my home folder on to my maxtor firewire HD.
I want to reinstall Tiger and format my hard disk on my powerbook how can i do this then reinstall my backup and it regain all my preferences, like when you migrate from your old mac to a new one via firewire and target disk mode???

Just dont want to re apply all my preferences after compleat reinstall!

Any help much appreciated!

James :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Pop in your system disc and hold down 'c' at startup.
During setup, select the 'erase & install' option to get a fresh copy of OS X installed.

When it asks you to transfer data from another volume, plug in your firewire drive and see if will grab the data off there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.