Monitor resolution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm having problems upping the resolution on my monitor. It's a 21" Apple CRT from a few years ago (it looks like a massive coloured Imac) and only in 1024 x 780 will the picture fill the screen. If I up the resolution, I get a huge black border around the whole screen. On PC monitors you can just resize it, but I only have brightness and contrast buttons and a button surrounded by a rainbow spectrum, which doesn't do anything even if pressed and held.

Any ideas?

I'm in Tiger by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I could be mistaken, but I think you can change your monitor's geometry settings in your System Preferences under "Displays" for certain monitors.

OP
Alexis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There's no mention of geometry and this is what the help says:

Click Geometry and select the kind of adjustment you want to make. For example, to change the height or width of the screen image, select Height/Width.
If no Geometry pane is available, your monitor doesn't support making screen adjustments from Display preferences.

I came across PDF instructions for the monitor, but it makes no mention of OS X, just 8 and 9. There was software to download for OS 9, but it seems to have been disregarded for X. This was a very expensive monitor and it's only 6 or 7 years old so it's absurd that I'm stuck in low res on a 21" screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Alexis said:
I'm having problems upping the resolution on my monitor. It's a 21" Apple CRT from a few years ago (it looks like a massive coloured Imac) and only in 1024 x 780 will the picture fill the screen. If I up the resolution, I get a huge black border around the whole screen. On PC monitors you can just resize it, but I only have brightness and contrast buttons and a button surrounded by a rainbow spectrum, which doesn't do anything even if pressed and held.

Any ideas?

I'm in Tiger by the way.
I've always been able to resize the screen on my 17" (1999) Apple CRT (mine's graphite not blue). Are you sure you've tried all the buttons?

A

Alvin Meister

Hi

I have tried all the buttons, both pressing them briefly and holding them down. Brightness and contrast worked in OS 9, but in Tiger they don't do anything, along with the 'control panel launcher button'.

Here's the instruction manual (1998):

21" CRT

A

Alvin Meister

Oops, I just had a thought. I forgot to plug in the USB lead, which it says it needs for the software controls!

End of the week brain fade I think!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.