Problem installing bootcamp windows on macbook pro 2016

Reaction score
Hello to all. I have installed without a problem a copy of windows 10 x64 on my late 2012 iMac with bootcamp. I tried to install it on my new macbook pro 2016 ( without touchbar ), also tried other copy, and was getting an error : File : \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi Error code : 0xc000000f

Any help ? thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears from that error the Windows installation routine is being rejected. You really haven't provided us with much info.... I'm assuming you have a good iso of Windows 10 x 64 bit that you're using?

OP
P
Reaction score
It appears from that error the Windows installation routine is being rejected. You really haven't provided us with much info.... I'm assuming you have a good iso of Windows 10 x 64 bit that you're using?

yea its window 10 x64. used it also on my imac as i mentioned before and works flawlessly. maybe the new ones have some problem ? maybe they need bootable usb ?

edit: what more info do you need?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We really need to know exactly how you're attempting to install Windows 10 to the new 2016 MacBook Pro. For example: did you use a bootable USB with the Windows 10 iso on it or did you just follow the Boot Camp install instructions? As far as the licensing of Windows 10 goes, we'll let you deal with that assuming you removed it from the iMac.

OP
P
Reaction score
We really need to know exactly how you're attempting to install Windows 10 to the new 2016 MacBook Pro. For example: did you use a bootable USB with the Windows 10 iso on it or did you just follow the Boot Camp install instructions? As far as the licensing of Windows 10 goes, we'll let you deal with that assuming you removed it from the iMac.

i have the .iso image on my macbook ( as i did on my imac ). Then ran boot camp and following its instuctions ( detects automatically the .iso image ), and after 3-4 minutes ( donwloading stuff from the internet compatible with windows-mac ), macbook restarts and then a blue screen appears with this problem

2.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I can tell, you're installing Windows 10 the correct way. The Boot Camp assistant automatically detects the iso and then should download drivers as part of the installation. However, something is not right. I suspect it's because your MacBook Pro is a 2016 model and is so new. I'm wondering if there are even Boot Camp drivers for your MacBook Pro? I suggest contacting Apple and get some help with this. Your 2016 MacBook Pro is still covered by Apple Care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
To install Windows on any Mac, the Windows ISO or installer needs to be on an external disc for this to happen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To install Windows on any Mac, the Windows ISO or installer needs to be on an external disc for this to happen.

I don't believe that's true. From the Apple article:

Windows 10 is available from Microsoft as an ISO file and a USB flash drive. You need an ISO file of the 64-bit version of the Windows 10 installer to install Windows on your Mac. If you purchased the USB flash drive version you can download an ISO from Microsoft and use the Windows installation key that came with your flash drive. If you're installing Windows for the first time, make sure the Windows installer you're using is for a full installation (not an upgrade installer).

From what I have read elsewhere, the iso can be installed direct and/or from a USB flash drive. The flash drive does have to be USB 2 if used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP thought the ISO could be on MBP internal disk drive, and still be installed using Boot Camp. I don't see how Boot Camp will be able to access the Mac partition, locate the installer file or ISO, then start installing Windows in side the Boot Camp partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP thought the ISO could be on MBP internal disk drive, and still be installed using Boot Camp. I don't see how Boot Camp will be able to access the Mac partition, locate the installer file or ISO, then start installing Windows in side the Boot Camp partition.

The Boot Camp Assistant is a Mac program run from the Mac partition, that's how it can "see" the iso and run it direct. At the same time the Boot Camp Assistant downloads the drivers needed for running Windows 10.

Now having said that, I'm not entirely sure that the new Touch Bar 2016 MacBook Pro machines are fully supported. That's the one question I can't answer for the OP.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks guys for all your replies. i moved the iso file to a usb drive but it didnt work. I dont know to tell the difference between them. Anyway, thanks for all the answers. if i find a solution i will post it

Reaction score
thanks guys for all your replies. i moved the iso file to a usb drive but it didnt work. I dont know to tell the difference between them. Anyway, thanks for all the answers. if i find a solution i will post it

hey, mate. Having exactly the same problem with macbook pro 13' late 2016 (no touchbar). Tried tonns of iso-files, with usb-stick and not. Every time getting 0xc00000f after reboot (when windows setup should start). Called to apple, they checked with remote access that I'm doing everything right, but couldn't help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
polaxgr if you go back to the error message you posted it advises system 32. Any chance you indavertently tried to do a 32bit installation?

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same exact issue! I have yet to find a solution which seems to be exactly in every way and error code to others. I will be watching closely to see how this turns out for all of us (specifically the OP or anyone who posts a solution)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations on installing Windows 10 on that new MacBook Pro. I'm not sure I or anyone else for that matter would have the patience to go thru all those steps to install Windows. Too easy to botch things up along the way. And take note of the warning from the author. ;) Anyway, glad to hear you got it done.

Reaction score
Yesterday I've succeed with installing Windows 10 on Macbook Pro late 2016 (no touchbar) with this instruction: http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/

Okay I also managed to find out why I was having an issue! I was downloading the latest ISO but according to Microsoft they have instructions for Mac users to download the previous Windows 10 build and then upgrade using Windows Update:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

EDIT: A little info... I only see their "warning" when I am in Mac OS X using Safari, so since I am in windows right now I do not see the same warning.... Although my iPhone's Safari app does show it when I browse to the page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.