Apple mail passwords

Reaction score
A question from a beginner , if i use [email protected] for my email , when i change my password in Apple icloud on my imac does this also change the password in the Apple email ??...bit confusing maybe but thaks in advance !!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

No, the password for Apple Mail and for your iCloud account are separate and should be kept that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
cowboy get an indexed notebook and lock it away. You will need a password for

Admin User (log in password)
Apple Mail password
iCloud password
Apple ID password
Banking facility password
Credit card password
PayPal password
etc etc etc

Some folks use an app password but with many utilities and applications capable of accessing your network and passing information to 'home base' I like to control things myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Welcome to our forums.

No, the password for Apple Mail and for your iCloud account are separate and should be kept that way.

Did I miss something?

If we're talking about the Mail that's -PART- of iCloud, the password for the iCloud account and the mail account are the same. No?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not for those of us who shun the Cloud it ain't!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP specifically called out using @icloud.com as the email address.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The OP specifically called out using @icloud.com as the email address.

The password for his iCloud account does not have to be the same as for his iCloud email account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be interested to know how you make them different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I use iCloud as little as possible which is about close to nothing, but I'd suggest the OP does some checking depending how they use it:
https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2618?locale=en_CA
and
How to access iCloud Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and more on the web
http://www.imore.com/how-access-icloud-mail-contacts-calendars-and-more-web

and not forgetting accessing their iCloud email with an email client (Mail etc) or a browser at:
iCloud.com
or
https://www.icloud.com/#mail

From some of what I see, it seems that my iCloud email account access password is the same as my iCloud password so I sure wouldn't be changing anything without doing more checking. :Grimmace:

Edit:
Basically as Ember says:
I would be interested to know how you make them different.

- Patrick
==========

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From some of what I see, it seems that my iCloud email account access password is the same as my iCloud password so I sure wouldn't be changing anything without doing more checking.

I think what we may be forgetting here is that some folks have had an Apple email account before it was changed to iCloud. And other folks are using their Apple ID and password as their iCloud email account. And yet others have created a different password for their iCloud email account even though it's their Apple ID that identifies it. Confused now?

In any event, the original poster was concerned that if he changed one it would automatically change the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Confused now?

Almost, and one would think that Apple would have a definitive article and there should be a law that all informative websites should have a valid date of issue such as this one:
https://viewdigits.com/how-to-find-lost-icloud-email-id-and-password.html
That says:
Already I mentioned above their is no separately Email Id and Password to iCloud. Only Apple ID and Password to login information of iCloud.

But the directions seem clear at:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-your-icloud-mail-password-1172268
and more hits at:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=hSKrWIDeNtHe8AfzpImQCg

At least the particular Apple ID account name seems to stay the same and the OP would have both passwords, just in case. O:)

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't really use my iCloud email account as I feel it's not necessary since my normal gmail accounts are working well enough. I hate to get more involved with Apple passwords after reading some of the horror stories of folks getting locked out of their account and devices. One fellow over at MacRumors says he's still locked out of his account after 30 days when his 2FA or something went wrong. He complained that contacting Apple has gone on deaf ears. Apparently Apple has a backlog of getting those accounts straightened out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to get more involved with Apple passwords after reading some of the horror stories of folks getting locked out of their account and devices.

Ouch!!! Maybe that's why I avoid using it as much as possible.
And then add iCloud Drive to the confusing mix and mess.

As an older article stated, and I haven't read of much improvement more recently:
What is iCloud?
A big, muddled mess, that's what.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/whats-the-difference-between-icloud-backup-and-icloud-drive/

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.