Reclaiming bootcamp partition

Reaction score
I was attempting to install boot camp with windows 7 on my early 2008 15" mac book pro. These are the steps I followed to create it.
1: I created a time machine back up of my computer
2: I edited the Info.plist file within a copy of the boot camp assistant so that I could use a thumb drive to install windows 7
3: I followed the steps in bootcamp assistant to partition 32 gb to windows 7
4: The partition finished and it restarted into a "No bootable device - insert boot disc and press any key" but my windows install usb and install dvd r didn't work, not sure if I created them correctly...
5: I booted into the mac side of my computer
6: Opened boot camp assistant to try and remove the windows partition
7: Followed the steps but it failed and now I no longer have the option to remove windows 7
8: Repartitioned my hard drive to give all space to mac partition
9: Hard disk says all space is allocated to mac partition (200 gb) but mac partition shows only 167 gb as max space, (42gb taken and 123ish gb avaliable)
10: Post this and pray for help :)
(pictures are out of order, sorry)
No bootable device.gif Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 5.03.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 4.54.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 4.54.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 5.21.59 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The MBP has/had an optical drive so it is necessary to use that rather than the thumb drive. Even folks who have an second hard drive in the optical slot have been forced to re-install the optical to use BootCamp alas.

OP
N
Reaction score
The MBP has/had an optical drive so it is necessary to use that rather than the thumb drive. Even folks who have an second hard drive in the optical slot have been forced to re-install the optical to use BootCamp alas.

I know that now but I still don't know how to reclaim the bootcamp partition after deleting bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry to tell you when partitioning fails for whatever reason, we often see it is necessary to erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install and that 'editing' the .plist file may have caused corruption as remove Windows 7 is not available. How did you get that Command to edit it?

You do have a current backup?

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you when partitioning fails for whatever reason, we often see it is necessary to erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install and that 'editing' the .plist file may have caused corruption as remove Windows 7 is not available. How did you get that Command to edit it?

You do have a current backup?

Yes, I have a backup, i had the option to remove windows 7, I followed the steps but at some point during the re partitioning of my hard drive it failed and although bootcamp was uninstalled I can't recover the 32 gb. I edited the plist by creating a copy of the bootcamp assistant app and directly editing the file, editing the plist was not the reason however as I have the original unedited app and that doesn't offer the option either anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Simply do a clean install and restore from backup what you need.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.