Any reason to get an iPad when I already have a MBP?

Reaction score
Originally from Virginia, currently living in Hano
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13-inch retina, Early 2015, 2.7 i5 processor, 8 GB Memory. iPhone 7.
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if you could give me some compelling reasons for, and against, purchasing an iPad when I already own a Macbook Pro (Early 2015).

I ask because I am a school principal and I am trying to increase productivity. I carry my MBP everywhere I go, but I noticed a colleague using their new iPad in meetings. I later asked him why he uses it instead of his MBP and he replied that it is more efficient for him. But, he could not really give me an answer why and I need good reasons to convince my boss (wife) to let me purchase one.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I know this is silly, but I am all about increasing productivity!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello MooSR.... - first, I own two Mac laptops, including a 2013 MBP and an iPad Air 2 - my other laptop is a MBAir which I take on the road (thinner and much lighter - a joy vs. the MBPro). Second, before responding you must tell us how you use our MBPro during your meetings, e.g. need for a keyboard, storage, connectivity, etc. - then more specific responses can be made. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello MooSR.... - first, I own two Mac laptops, including a 2013 MBP and an iPad Air 2 - my other laptop is a MBAir which I take on the road (thinner and much lighter - a joy vs. the MBPro). Second, before responding you must tell us how you use our MBPro during your meetings, e.g. need for a keyboard, storage, connectivity, etc. - then more specific responses can be made. Dave :)

Thanks for your response, Dave.

I use my MB to take notes, set reminders, check calendar/schedule things that were discussed in the meeting, give assignments based on project management etc. So, I use the keyboard a lot. In regards to storage, everything is done through Google Apps or Evernote, so storage is not so much an issue.

So far, the only advantage I can see to having an iPad is to be quieter. I type softly, but it's still pretty loud in meetings. I noticed my colleague using a stylus to write and that looked pretty helpful. But, I don't know if doing so would be faster and more accurate than my typing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use my MB to take notes, set reminders, check calendar/schedule things that were discussed in the meeting, give assignments based on project management etc. So, I use the keyboard a lot. In regards to storage, everything is done through Google Apps or Evernote, so storage is not so much an issue.

So far, the only advantage I can see to having an iPad is to be quieter. I type softly, but it's still pretty loud in meetings. I noticed my colleague using a stylus to write and that looked pretty helpful. But, I don't know if doing so would be faster and more accurate than my typing.

Hello again - appears that the use of a keyboard (KB) is one of the most important needs on your MBPro - correct? If so, the 'on-screen' KB of the iPad will not make you happy at all - BUT, BT (Bluetooth) KBs can be used w/ an iPad and also cases w/ KBs can be easily added to an iPad - many choices are available. I suspect that an iPad Pro w/ an integrated KB would make you happy - might want to visit an Apple store to try out the options. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again - appears that the use of a keyboard (KB) is one of the most important needs on your MBPro - correct? If so, the 'on-screen' KB of the iPad will not make you happy at all - BUT, BT (Bluetooth) KBs can be used w/ an iPad and also cases w/ KBs can be easily added to an iPad - many choices are available. I suspect that an iPad Pro w/ an integrated KB would make you happy - might want to visit an Apple store to try out the options. Dave :)

Thanks, Dave.

I'm certain I would love it, but like I mentioned, I would have to convince the wife. Her first question would be: if you're going to use a keyboard, why not use your MB?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to get prepared :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Clever and logical woman your wife. I have never seen why one would lay over the lounge with an iPad compared to sitting at the desk with a notebook, or desktop come to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have an ipad mini, MBP (and iphone) and use them for different things. I use the ipad in bed for reading/internet/solitaire and on trips for similar, plus back-up of photos. I do not like typing on it and always use my MBP for any extensive text, including posts here. I can't see any advantage getting an ipad and keyboard over a MBP other than weight and don't feel it's likely to improve prodcutivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an ipad mini, MBP (and iphone) and use them for different things. I use the ipad in bed for reading/internet/solitaire and on trips for similar, plus back-up of photos. I do not like typing on it and always use my MBP for any extensive text, including posts here. I can't see any advantage getting an ipad and keyboard over a MBP other than weight and don't feel it's likely to improve prodcutivity.

@ MooSR - I now take my iPad & MBAir (13") on the road now (use to be just an iPad w/ a BT KB) - when I want to type a post and/or respond to an email, I'll use the laptop - I'm retired, so no longer have the extensive needs you described, although an iPad w/ the proper apps could likely serve most if not all.

Now, in bold above would certainly be a consideration for me, especially the size and weight. The iPad Pro comes in 2 sizes (see first pic below), i.e. 9.7" or 12.9" screen - the smaller size weighs just a pound, much easier than carrying a new MBPro (13" or 15") which weigh in now at 3 to 4 pounds. A variety of keyboards/cases can be added to the Pros, such as Apple's offering shown below in frontal and profile (open and closed) views. If the Pro is too expensive, then an iPad Air 2 can do pretty much the same.

My suggestion if possible is to visit an Apple store or a Big Box place, like Best Buy and just test out the iPads w/ a KB - you may not like the feel, but again a variety of options exist; also, bring along your MBPro just for comparison - you might want to take your wife, if she does not already own a tablet, then she may want an iPad, too - ;) Dave

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.19.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.17.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.22.31 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I suspect Moo really, really wants a slick new ipad but feels he has to justify it to the boss on grounds of increased productivity! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 11.1, 13,3", 2,4ghz, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd + Ext Seagate 1TB 3.0, macOS Sierra
I have MBP and obviously same boss type as MooSRI850, and was pondering about getting iPad but couldn't find it helpful.
Now with new MPB which is more compact and lighter then 2015 MBP maybe is better to go in this direction.

Vlad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tell me Sue how do you stay awake when you hit the sack? Blowed if I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have an iPad Pro 12.9" and I love it. It was the reason I sold my MBP and got a Mac mini for home use. I did get the Logitech Create Case with Keyboard, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/create-ipad-pro-keyboard?crid=1221, and Apple Pencil to go with it.

MooSRI850, I don't believe you can be "more" productive using it compared to an actual computer, it is only a tablet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was at Best Buy today and had a chance to look at the 12.9" iPad Pro. A beautiful machine easily displaying as good as any MacBook Pro that I have seen. A bit large for an iPad, but I certainly would go for that before I purchased another MacBook or MacBook Pro. I also like the 9" iPad Pro.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My opinion:

1) You need to create files (Writing, Excel etc) can't beat a MBP or Desktop
2) You are a file and media consumer can't beat iPad

I do both so I have both

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought of some justifications:

1. I am always getting stopped and asked which class is a student currently in, where is a teacher supposed to be etc. Having an iPad would let me quickly pull this info up.

2. Quickly access documents. I try doing this with my iPhone 7, but it's just too small.

3. Access reminder/to do list quickly. Again, I was hoping that my iPhone 7 could do this, but it is a bit too small. I need to look at a large calendar and the one on my friends' iPad (he has the 12.9" iPad) looked awesome.

4. I can play KOTOR in my office when I need a brain break :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Easy decision. In our house our macbooks and iMac reside, permanently wired up in our respective studies for use, both private and business during the day. We each have an ipad that generally lives in the lounge for ready access during tv programmes (or adverts!) for general browsing / social media / news etc. Mine sometimes finds it's way to the breakfast table - but only when I'm eating alone :) . In addition, we're lucky to have an iPad mini each used mainly for holidays (books, solitaire, maps), showing photographs to relatives when visiting or tethered to our iphones for navigation in the car.

Different kit, different uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Get the iPad! I've taught for many years - your teachers are using apps (that don't run on a MBP) with their students, and you need to fully understand what is happening in classrooms. Think how cool it would be to sit beside a student and create a book together! An iPad is not an MBP replacement; it's another critter altogether. Coding is a big thing now, and if you are in education, an iPad is a must. Go for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought of some justifications:

1. I am always getting stopped and asked which class is a student currently in, where is a teacher supposed to be etc. Having an iPad would let me quickly pull this info up.

2. Quickly access documents. I try doing this with my iPhone 7, but it's just too small.

3. Access reminder/to do list quickly. Again, I was hoping that my iPhone 7 could do this, but it is a bit too small. I need to look at a large calendar and the one on my friends' iPad (he has the 12.9" iPad) looked awesome.

4. I can play KOTOR in my office when I need a brain break :).

SO - MossSR.... - not an answer at all - ;) Thus, what are you planning to do? Let us know, especially those of us who have put in some effort on this thread - you owe us! :) Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.