Thinking about getting the Apple Watch

Reaction score
I have very chubby fingers. When I tried the Apple Watch at the store, it was difficult to control. I could never tap in the right "spot".

Does anyone else have this problem? Does the tap accuracy get better if you use the watch more often? Are there special settings for people with bigger fingers?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Personally, I find the Apple Watch to not be terribly useful beyond a few basic things:

- Tracking my movements and activity during the day to help me keep a bit of a tab on how much of a couch potato I'm being
- Giving me super-quick access to a "find my iPhone" option to make my phone go "ding" when I can't find it
- Telling them time with a quick tap on the screen (I turned off the option to auto wake the display on wrist raise)
- Seeing "what's next" on my calendar when I have very busy days through the use of a watch face that shows the next appointment from my calendar as part of the main display
- Pay for purchases at the convenience store and McDonald's

As far as using the watch for any sort of input mechanism, I pretty never do that. Every once in a while I will read a text message and use voice-to-text to respond. But, it's clunky and not useful to me.

There's no learning done by the watch to better understand your touch patterns and such. It's an incredibly small area that requires a fairly refined level of fine motor control to actually use the face of the watch for input. IMHO, it's a very expensive toy. The one thing that it does for Apple is to make the iPhone more "sticky" since swapping to Android also means giving up your watch.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
MrBossible; A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

As you've been to an Apple Store and seen and "played" with the watch, I expect you know what it can and cannot do. But, whether for you or others who want its functions explained, I have included some links at the end.

I think there are other considerations apart from function. For example, do you have a watch currently? Is a watch more than just a timepiece to you? Is it also something you like to show off, something you enjoy wearing? Do you view it more like jewellery than a piece of hardware?

The Apple Watch 2 isn't in my personal view a "classy" or particularly attractive accessory. Choice of face size is limited and the range of wrist bands seem to appeal to a younger generation where, arguably, style is less important.

And you have "very chubby fingers" so even with the larger clock face, I would speculate that you are not going to get the best out of the watch - personal view again.

And just ask yourself how many of the functions you will need or find useful.

Just my thoughts.

Links:

https://www.wareable.com/apple-watch/new-apple-watch-2-features-specs-release-date-1125
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/wearables/apple-watch-2-1323213/review
http://www.trustedreviews.com/apple-watch-2-review

Ian

M

MacInWin

I have an AW2 and I find it incredibly useful during my day. I get a lot of email and text messages and it is very handy to be able to take a quick look at my wrist to see if I want to read more or not. When I am in a meeting, that function allows me to focus on the meeting and not worry about "what was that text, should I check it?" kind of distractions. Also I use it to track my exercise routines and to have access to my music while I work out. The timekeeping is great as it is synced to the iPhone timekeeping, so it's always accurate. I also use it to remind me of upcoming events and things on my to-do list. And for Apple Pay, of course. It is, for me, much more than an "expensive toy" to me.

As for being clunky, my last watch was a Citizen Eco-drive Skyhawk, which is the same dimensions but thicker than the AW2, so for me the AW2 is actually smaller and lighter than I was used to wearing.

I guess it's all in your perspective. The buttons are tiny, to be sure, but it's not intended to be a "composing" device. About the only time it needs to be tapped with real precision is if you have to enter your passcode manually (rarely, you can unlock it with your iPhone and once unlocked, it stays unlocked until you take it off), or to choose an app from the app layout screen (again, rare, as i have my most used apps on the Dock, which is much, much easier to use).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an AW2 and I find it incredibly useful during my day. I get a lot of email and text messages and it is very handy to be able to take a quick look at my wrist to see if I want to read more or not. When I am in a meeting, that function allows me to focus on the meeting and not worry about "what was that text, should I check it?" kind of distractions. Also I use it to track my exercise routines and to have access to my music while I work out. The timekeeping is great as it is synced to the iPhone timekeeping, so it's always accurate. I also use it to remind me of upcoming events and things on my to-do list. And for Apple Pay, of course. It is, for me, much more than an "expensive toy" to me.

As for being clunky, my last watch was a Citizen Eco-drive Skyhawk, which is the same dimensions but thicker than the AW2, so for me the AW2 is actually smaller and lighter than I was used to wearing.

I guess it's all in your perspective. The buttons are tiny, to be sure, but it's not intended to be a "composing" device. About the only time it needs to be tapped with real precision is if you have to enter your passcode manually (rarely, you can unlock it with your iPhone and once unlocked, it stays unlocked until you take it off), or to choose an app from the app layout screen (again, rare, as i have my most used apps on the Dock, which is much, much easier to use).

I agree that perspective has everything to do with it, and different people make use of different things in different ways.

Personally, I have almost all of the email alerts turned off (and have also recently turned periodic email retrieval completely off on the phone itself - it's now entirely manual fetch). I have a home automation system that sends me alerts which I allow on the watch, and I also allow text message notifications on the watch. I don't read either of them there, however, because A) the viewport is way too small (IMHO) even on the larger face and B) viewing the text messages on the watch marks them as Read on the phone. Many times, I need to go back and look at the messages later because I don't have the time to react or respond when I receive them. So, I use the notification on the watch as nothing more than an opportunity to "know" that I got a message.

I allow the watch to notify me of incoming phone calls. On the few occasions when my phone is not on my person, having these different notifications on the watch is a bit helpful as otherwise I may not be aware.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have the Apple Watch 2, and to be absolutely honest the only benefit I get from it is being able to easily call home while running, or make an emergency call if needed.
At my age, and having known at least one fellow runner who had a heart attack while out running, it is worth it just for that. Otherwise I would stick with my Garmin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
When I got my first Apple Watch I questioned how useful it would be and then I fell in love with it. I sold my first Apple Watch and now I have upgraded to the S2. My biggest reason to get one was for notifications. I previously had an Android phone and if I got a call or message it had a light on the outside that would blink to notify me. I missed that on the iPhone - a lot! So when the Watch came out - for me - it filled in that gap. I let it notify me of text messages, phone calls and upcoming appointments. I mess with some of the other apps but for me those I listed are the big three.

As for fat fingers - if you tried one out and you had trouble then the watch might not be for you. I have the 42mm and medium sized girl hands so I have no issues with the small size of the screen.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
I have the Apple Watch 2, and to be absolutely honest the only benefit I get from it is being able to easily call home while running, or make an emergency call if needed.
At my age, and having known at least one fellow runner who had a heart attack while out running, it is worth it just for that. Otherwise I would stick with my Garmin.

This is exactly why I'm shopping for a "watch" type device, need to be able to easily answer calls. Too bad it doesn't look the Apple Watch will work for me. Are there any good quality third party watch that can make phone calls? I don't need any app features, just the ability to answer and make phone calls would be sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are watches that will make calls without a phone. They may need a phone initially to set it up. It seems Samsung makes the best standalone.

http://smartwatches.org/learn/best-standalone-smartwatch-options/

I did run into a guy that had one and he loved it. At the time I felt it was a little to "D¡ck Tracy" for me. I have never used my Apple watch to make a call but I have answered calls on it. I am not in love with that feature although it works well.

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm reading the reviews on this page right now. If I end up buying a Samsung one, it will be my first Samsung product.

If it needs to pair with a phone, I hope it pairs with the iPhone, I'm not too thrilled about having to switch phones also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa pointed you to what could be described as a phone you wear on your wrist. I don't believe that you would pair a smart watch like those with a phone at all. So, be sure you're aware of exactly what you're buying as you'll need another SIM and phone line to use one of those watches unless you move the SIM out of your iPhone and stop using the phone completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a link to Samsung. You can play with options and carriers to see what is available. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/all-wearables/s/_/n-10+11+hv1rr

And yes, you can pair a Samsung Gear (watch) to an iPhone but you are limited to what it will do. Both have to have their own sim card which I am sure means two connection fees for your carrier. I actually hope they never make the Watch able to make calls without an iPhone because I don't want to have to pay for two connection fees.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.