Graphics Card or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - OSx Lion 10.7.5 - MacPro1,1 - 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon - 4 Gb memory - 1 Tb Storage
When I boot up my screen gets all glitchy and I'm not able to do anything. But I'm able to boot up in safe mode and everything runs as it should. I was wondering if this is a sign of a faulty video graphics card or something else. I have a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 4 Gb RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

From your all too brief description, it sounds like you have a nVidia 7300GT graphics card installed. They were the weakest and cheapest when the Mac Pro was new, and have not improved with age, heat etc. They can do precisely what you say and do you have anyone you know who has a Mac Pro? the shot would be to remove your card, firstly give it a very good clean and the PCI-E slot, re-install it making sure it i in firmly, connect up and see if it will boot. If no joy suggest looking for an 8800GT series II card. The 8800 cme out for the Mac Pro3.1 2008 model, but this card was later released for the Mac Pro 1.1, and is a better card. Of course the problem is after lashing out your money, it may benever problem as the 1.1 model is now over eleven years old, approaching the dinosaur age.

When you post, pop in all relevant information, operating system, etc. I will search eBay and include a link to the correct 8800GT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-1st-Ge...00-GT-512MB-Video-Graphics-Card-/252214463328

That is the card. The cost is probably about the value of the Mac Pro alas, but what else can one do?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - OSx Lion 10.7.5 - MacPro1,1 - 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon - 4 Gb memory - 1 Tb Storage
Thanks for the help. And yes it's a 7300gt card. In the process of saving and pricing a new mac, this one has been great and made me some money over the years. Thanks again and be well.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@rkautz21 Glad you got things sorted out. I removed your other post as it seems to be a duplicate of the one that started this thread. In the future don't post multiple threads for the same problem. It creates a good deal of confusion as members try to remember which information has been posted in what thread.

I've also moved this to the Hardware area

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.