Cannot load webpages on any network, with any broswer

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2014 Macbook and I've been experiencing on and off a very annoying sluggish response in loading web pages.
They take tens of seconds to load, and in most cases the browser just gives up and displays some error message like
"There is no internet connection", "The site can't be reacherd" or "is taking too much time to respond"

Some facts:

1. It happens with ALL my browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox), on ALL the networks I tried (home, work, cafes, you name it...), and
as far as I can tell on ALL webpages.

2. The problem usually lasts for a few days, then it works correctly for a while, then it stops again for a few days, and so on.

3. It's not the Wifi antenna:
A speed test with speedtest.py from the terminal gives Download 49.67 Mbit/s
Upload 5.43 Mbit/s

In fact the problem persists if I turn off WiFi and use Ethernet (I tried
it on two different LAN).

4. I have an iMac on my home network and I never experienced this problem on the iMac.

I suspect it may be a problem with DNS but I don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It may or may not be a DNS problem. If the iMac on your home network is not having any difficulty when using the same DNS servers, then it probably is not something related to DNS. Try removing all connection information on the MacBook and create a new one to see if that helps. You could always enter new DNS information if you feel that will help. We recommend using the free Google Public DNS servers:

OP
N
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

It may or may not be a DNS problem. If the iMac on your home network is not having any difficulty when using the same DNS servers, then it probably is not something related to DNS. Try removing all connection information on the MacBook and create a new one to see if that helps. You could always enter new DNS information if you feel that will help. We recommend using the free Google Public DNS servers:

Thank you.
Indeed the iMac is using the same DNS servers and doesn't have any problem. I just changed the DNS of the Macbook to the Google Public DNS servers and the problem persists. What else could the problem be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a defective card or the antenna cable has become disconnected or loose?

OP
N
Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a defective card or the antenna cable has become disconnected or loose?

But then how could I consistently get a download speed of around 50 Mbit/s when I test the speed with speedtest.py? (via the terminal, not the browser, of course). Also, I can download large files fast with ftp and scp, and I ping are ssh are also fast. The problem seems to be just with http...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
How full is the SSD? Also you might try downloading and running Onyx. I don't know if it would help but it can't hurt. The link is listed below in my signature area.

Lisa

OP
N
Reaction score
How full is the SSD? Also you might try downloading and running Onyx. I don't know if it would help but it can't hurt. The link is listed below in my signature area.

Lisa

I still have 100 Gb of free space. I don't think Onyx would help. Any other ideas on how I may diagnose where the problem comes from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are not running any browser extensions or antivirus that could be mucking up the works or some app that has an attitude - I agree with ferrarr (Bob) - your looking at a hardware issue.

Just for a quick check - can you download malwarebytes and run it to eliminate potential malware? You may have to let another mac download it and hopefully it will update. Other than that if you have an apple store close a trip to the genius bar and have them do a free diagnostics would be my next idea. The Apple Diagnostics might show something but the genius bar is more in depth.

Lisa

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, following your suggestion I downloaded malwarebytes and eliminated 5 threats. Right now websites are loading correctly, but I don't know if it's because I restarted the computer (which sometimes solves temporarily the problem) or the eliminated threats. I keep my finger crossed that it will last. By the way I also have Sophos antivirus installed, and I checked that it wasn't the culprit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad Malwarebytes helped. You will get a lot of advice that you do not need to run Sophos. On most systems it will slow it down and can cause issues. I run Sophos on my Mac Pro but ONLY because it is in a work network with other PCs. I do not run it or any other antivirus on my Macbook Air or Macbook Pro. I have found safe browsing practices, using Ghostery and Ublock Origin as browser extensions and running Malwarebytes monthly to check for issues has worked very well for me.

Lisa

OP
N
Reaction score
Update: after two weeks without any problem, the sluggishness is back! I run again Malwarebytes but it found no threats, so there has to be another reason.
I did install Ghostery by the way. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Again as Lisa asked. Are you running any antivirus software, CleanMyMac, Mackeeper or similar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Uninstall it may improve things. Use the uninstaller that came with the program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.