odd behavior? or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I googled the name of a used car place near me, then went to their website from the results. then a day or so later im on another website, and ads show up for the thing I googled the day before. this seemed odd to me. could this mean their spyware or something on my mac? how can I find out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Nope not odd. Welcome to the world of tracking. This is why I run Ghostery and UBlock Origin as my browser extensions. This prevents the tracking. Just install Ghostery and check block all or modify it to suit. That will stop the pop up ads. You might need to disable Ghostery for some sites that have pop ups you want.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Called "cookies".;)

Try doing some other searches for other items or services...and you'll find the same thing happens.

As Lisa expertly mentioned...there are ways to spoof the "cookie monster"!;)

- Nick

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ive heard of cookies never thought much about them over the years. so I search for "joes pizza place" near me using google, and when I visit a website Ive only been too a few times, it shows ads based on my searches. sort of creepy in a way, like big brother is watching. thanks for the replies. is the cookie coming from google or the website I went to, or something else? guess it don't matter. I tried disabling cookies years ago I recall, but then many if not most websites don't work well when you do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
ive heard of cookies never thought much about them over the years. so I search for "joes pizza place" near me using google, and when I visit a website Ive only been too a few times, it shows ads based on my searches. sort of creepy in a way, like big brother is watching. thanks for the replies. is the cookie coming from google or the website I went to, or something else? guess it don't matter. I tried disabling cookies years ago I recall, but then many if not most websites don't work well when you do that.

Hi - 'cookies' are small text files that websites leave on your computer's drive - they have multiple purposes, including storing your login data and other information, if desired (such as your credit card); most are 'innocent' but can be used for tracking and other usually just annoying practices. Not sure which browser you are using, but in Apple's Safari, cookies and website data can be managed - first open 'Preferences' in the Safari menu bar, then click on 'Privacy' - there cookies/website data can be managed (first pic below) - if you then click on 'Manage Website Data...', the second pic below shows the dialog box - there, individual or multiple or all websites can be deleted - I've scrolled down to my Amazon cookie which contains my login data (and my credit card) - if I deleted that entry, then on my next sign-in to the site, I'd have to re-enter that information.

Now if you are using another browser(s), then explore their options for managing this information. Also, there are other ways to eliminate cookies etc. - for example, many here, including me, use OnyX from Titanium Software, just another choice. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.21.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.27.59 AM.png

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use firefox mostly. I'm ok with cookies storing login info, but the ones that show ads or popups behind the window I have open gets a bit annoying. guess I'll have to learn how to manage them better on fire fox. :) I do have Onyx also never used it to manage cookies. I'll check into that too. thanks.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have cookies from sites i've never visited, like 1world.com, and 123456789.log.optimizely.com., adingo.jp.. never visited a site by that URL, but I have a cookie for it. I guess when i'm clicking stuff and web surfin, all this stuff gets on there without my knowing about it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have cookies from sites i've never visited, like 1world.com, and 123456789.log.optimizely.com., adingo.jp.. never visited a site by that URL, but I have a cookie for it. I guess when i'm clicking stuff and web surfin, all this stuff gets on there without my knowing about it.

You've probably visited 100's or 1000's of different websites over the years that you've been computing. If you can remember EVERY website you've ever been to...I hope you're making millions of dollars a year. Because that's a pretty special skill!;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Also, remember that Google is in the business of selling information. So you log into Google and do a search for "joes pizza place" and they take note that your internet IP asked for pizza. They sell that information and the next time you go into the Internet, the ad companies will know to focus pizza place ads to that IP, and will customize appropriately. Until and unless your ISP changes your internet IP, you'll keep getting those "focused" ads. Cookies help, because having a cookie from Google that you like pizza can also be used to focus ads for you. The website you visit with Google ads will see the cookie and display pizza ads. It's life in the Internet.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good to know thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont like the idea of being tracked even though im not doing anything illegal. its just not right. looks like I have to try something new which is tough for this old guy. lol. thanks for all the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont like the idea of being tracked even though im not doing anything illegal. its just not right. looks like I have to try something new which is tough for this old guy. lol. thanks for all the help.

This is the way the internet is. Advertiser's and other's are trying to make money...and this is how they gather info. If you don't like it ( I think few of us do)...you got to disable cookies whenever possible...run apps like "Ghostery", and only provide personal info when necessary.

Apps like Ghostery do a very good job. Give it a try.:)

- Nick

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ghostery is installed. just need to learn it and get use to it now. is it mostly automatic or must I do something everytime I visit a site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No you have to do nothing. Just check it is installed in Preferences. And ticked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
And I also use DuckDuckGo as my search engine. They do not track you. Plus they use all the other search engines to find results for you.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And I also use DuckDuckGo as my search engine. They do not track you. Plus they use all the other search engines to find results for you.

Lisa

OK, then how do you know that you are not being indirectly tracked? As an ex-teacher I'm sure you have read George Orwell's novel "1984"? Big Brother is alive and active! :p

(Just teasing you Lisa.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Rather amusingly....

When I was diagnosed with myeloma, I of course took to looking it up on the internet.

Within days I was receiving emails from a company called "plan My Funeral"!!!

Good job I had a better outlook on my future than they did!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I find it amusing that companies are paying for these useless ads. Having visited Amazon, say, to look at a particular power drill, I immediately see ad's for the same power drill available at Amazon. I usually shout at the screen " I know - I've just been looking at it you stupid people". I though that the purpose of advertising was to bring to your attention things that you did not know about. Not at all sure that the Google Ad people have read the manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.