odd behavior? or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Traditional advertising does not work the same as internet advertising. Clicking is money, not that that makes sense, but it is. Thanks google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. They cannot hear you Sawday. This I have learnt giving my footie team advice whilst watching games on TV for many decades.

2. If it didn't sell it would soon stop, so obviously it works.

3. There is no manual in marketing just an old Latin proverb 'A buck is a buck is a buck'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OK, then how do you know that you are not being indirectly tracked? As an ex-teacher I'm sure you have read George Orwell's novel "1984"? Big Brother is alive and active! :p

(Just teasing you Lisa.)

'Cause it says so!

DuckDuckGo.jpg

...And I believe everything I read! O:)

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
...And I believe everything I read!

Quite right!! ;) Well duckduck says so…

And probably the reason I don't use it. :D

14440956_1193383790683909_1855930760604805819_n.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whilst DuckDuckGo does not track one whilst using the search engine, of course as soon as you click on a link one moves out of the protection of the browser into the open market place as it were, and cookies rain down on one more heavy than Portia described in 'The Merchant of Venice'. So to me that is very limited protection at its best.,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So true:
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:

One definitely needs an umbrella and other protection when out strolling the 'net these days!!!

Actually when I'm interested in something I want to purchase these days and not in a hurry, I'll purposely do some web searching at various sites with cookies enabled, and then check out the results for the likes of amazon and other online sales sites that come in via email or whatever.

The one problem is, it's sometimes hard to turn off when I'm finished.

Like, no, I really don't need an active SCSI terminator any more… but maybe I exaggerate just a bit… ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am well aware we are tracked even if using DuckDuckGo but it is my own small rebellion. Just like I will take time to unsubscribe from email lists I never signed up for. I realize by unsubscribing I will be telling the unscrupulous ones that my email is a live one but I feel the need to try. And I have one "junk" email I use when a site has to have an email address. Just this morning I had 129 junk emails and that was before I started culling through the ones the filters missed.

Lisa

M

MacInWin

Lisa, I use pobox.com to block junk mail. I still get some, but most of the more offensive spam gets blocked really well. I've been with them for years. The really neat function is that although I've changed my "real" email provider several times, the email address I give out has not changed. Pobox filters and forwards email from my public address to the private one. If any spammer figures out my real address and I start getting spam directly there I just change email providers and tell Pobox to change the forward address to the new one. Slick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will check it out. Thanks Jake :D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.