mounted volume not listed in "Devices" list

Reaction score
I have an external disk volume that is used for overnight backups. Found a system message this morning saying the connection to that disk was invalid. According to the backup app, the backup went fine, however. The icon for that volume is on my desktop and the volume is visible in Disk Utility. I can click on that volume icon and open the volume just fine. BUT, the volume does not appear in my Finder "Devices" list. Uh, what's going on? Doesn't that list show everyone who is mounted? iMac 10.11.6.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Doug

May or not help, but just check in Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and make sure Devices is checked. Even if it is, might be worth unchecking and then checking again.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Doug

May or not help, but just check in Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and make sure Devices is checked. Even if it is, might be worth unchecking and then checking again.

Ian

Thank you Ian. That did the trick. Somehow those items in the Devices column of Sidebar Finder Preferences all got marked with a dash -, instead of a check mark - √. Cosmic ray, I suppose. Strangely, some of those devices still showed up in the sidebar, but some of them didn't. What does a dash mean instead of no mark at all?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm so glad this helped. I've no idea what a dash means but then again I don't know that much.

Thank you for posting back. Others in the future may benefit too.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
See the little 'thumbs up' under Ian's avatar? Click on it and leave him some positive feedback for being such a nice guy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.