Caller ID "Missing" info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
While this technically isn't a hardware issue (it's really an iOS-related problem), I opted to place it here because it is phone specific.

I have a contact saved with a first name, last name, company name, and multiple phone numbers (home, work, cell). When this person calls me, the caller info on the lock screen shows name and company but never "which" phone they're calling from. If I'm in the truck, the display in the dash shows name and which phone and doesn't show the company.

For me, it's important to know which phone they're calling from so I know whether or not I can use the feature to respond with a text message if I can't grab the call. Does anyone know if this can be configured so I can control which information I see or whether it would switch back and forth between company and phone type? For some contacts, I need to know the company and couldn't care less about the phone type. So, again, switching back and forth between the two values (under their name) would be ideal. But, I can't seem to find any controls for what it shows me for information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Unfortunately, I do not believe this is possible. I have the same thing with a few of my contacts, and I separated them into different cotacts, so I would be able to identify where the call originated from. For instance, I have my dad set up as - dad home(RI), - dad home(Fl) - and dad cell.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Bob, in that it's not possible with the way the caller ID currently works. My son calls me from two different numbers but the caller ID only shows his name. The same for other contacts that I have in my address book that have multiple numbers they can be reached at. Like you Ember, I wish it would display the difference.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The only way I can think of at the moment is to enter each phone number / contact point on a different contact card. Of course that would mean that you end up with multiple contact cards for those entries. That might or might not be a big deal to you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
By the way, this also applies to text messages if the sender has more than one mobile number. Not very likely you might think, but I have a few friends who have a company work mobile and a personal mobile. I have them both listed under one contact name.

When I get text, I only know it is from "John" but don't know which mobile number he is using. Okay, I concede it's not a big issue because you can just hit reply. Just FYI.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way I can think of at the moment is to enter each phone number / contact point on a different contact card. Of course that would mean that you end up with multiple contact cards for those entries. That might or might not be a big deal to you.

I don't think that will work either. I believe I tried that with my son's numbers. At one time he had three different numbers he would call me from and even listing each separately wasn't able to distinguish where the call originated from and only showed his name on my caller ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I actually added that info in the Name fields, like add "cell" or "home". It doesn't help with multiple cells, but you could put "Work cell" vs "cell"

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do not populate the "Company" field, Caller ID will show you the name and which number "category" (Home, Mobile, etc.) that is calling. When you populate the Company field, you lose the phone type.

I'm looking for a way to see the phone type (I don't care about the number) even if the Company field is populated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you add the descriptive word to the Company name, i.e.; cell?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think everyone is following the use case.

One contact entry per person
All phones stored as part of the person record
All phones properly categorized (home, cell, etc.)

If you do NOT store data in the "Company" field, Caller ID information will show the information from First/Last and which type of phone (home, cell, etc.).

If you DO store data in the "Company" field, Caller ID information will show the information from First/Last and the value in the Company field.

I'm wondering if there is any way to configure iOS to show First/Last, Company, and phone type. I don't care if it's all on the screen at once, scrolling, or alternating information. I could have SWORN that I had seen the Company and Phone Type information alternating in the past (or maybe on some contacts?). With 10.2 at least, It's a matter of the Company information overriding phone type info if Company is populated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand what you are referring to, but as a workaround, it would work.

If you only put "cell" on the cell contacts Company info line, then, you would know if it does not say "cell" it is the office or home phone line.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your suggestion conflicts with my use case in the following ways:

- ONE entry per contact would be multiple entries per contact
- Using the "Company" field to fill in non-company info would either require Company to be removed, or would result in not seeing the whole field (meaning I would have to lose the actual company info or the added descriptor you're suggesting) when the company name is not "very short").

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.