help with calibration!!!!

Reaction score
On the Display Calibrator Utility, I just can't seem to get the apple logo to blend into the background, no matter how hard I try. This is really important because I need good color prints fast and don't have money to buy a spyder calibrator.
Any tips, etc. for using the utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Is this a laptop or a desktop with a monitor?

What kind of monitor (LCD or CRT)?

OP
G
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
Is this a laptop or a desktop with a monitor?

What kind of monitor (LCD or CRT)?

it's my ibook's lcd screen, man i'm so frustrated just can't get that little apple to blend in

also, i read here that I should just set my monitor to srgb. However, I use the Adobe RGB Color space, as I print on an inkjet printer. Does that matter?

The reason I want to calibrate is because My prints came out way way lighter and washed out. I knew that happens if you try to post an rgb file on the web and view it in a browser, but I thought I would be able to use the extra gammut in printing.

As well, in the print menu, I can't find the color management option in the printer dialog box as shown here.

Please Help I am very confused and everywhere I read something, I read something else saying the complete opposite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have any specific experience with iBooks, but on my Powerbook I couldn't get it to sync unless I had my brightness all the way up. Double check that.

OP
G
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
I don't have any specific experience with iBooks, but on my Powerbook I couldn't get it to sync unless I had my brightness all the way up. Double check that.

yes i always leave my brightness all the way up when it's plugged in, which it is now. Still having a lot of trouble. Anyone have any suggestions, as well as answers to my questions above?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open System Preferences > Displays.

Check/post what color profile you're currently using.

OP
G
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
Open System Preferences > Displays.

Check/post what color profile you're currently using.

you mean on my lcd screen?
Well, before I tried to calibrate it, I have been using the Color LCD Profile which is the default. Should I be using this? And will it matter if I calibrate that as opposed to any of the other preset options?

OP
G
Reaction score
also, does it need to blend in completely?
I watched a movie on how to do it on apple.com and it blended in fully, but I just wanted to check

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The closer the apple is to the background, the more accurate printing will be.

Your LCD can be set to many different pre-made color profiles, you can switch between them in System Preferences by clicking on Displays. It's most likely set to "LCD", but for printing at work I use something like "Adobe 1997" or something like that.

OP
G
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
The closer the apple is to the background, the more accurate printing will be.

Your LCD can be set to many different pre-made color profiles, you can switch between them in System Preferences by clicking on Displays. It's most likely set to "LCD", but for printing at work I use something like "Adobe 1997" or something like that.

i used "Adobe 1998 and made adjustments in photoshop to compensate for color. I then printed it out via inkjet printer and looked at the print.

It is even more washed out than before and still has a green color cast which is now even more pronounced, although it looks fine on the screen. Plus on the screen I lost a lot of red tones out of the photo.

????????
god what a headache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Geez, what kind of printer is it?

We have an HP LaserJet 9500 here at work and it prints true to my screen.

OP
G
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
Geez, what kind of printer is it?

We have an HP LaserJet 9500 here at work and it prints true to my screen.

an hp deskjet 930c mayb its just a crappy printer

one thing:
if I send my photo to a lab, when I convert the photo to srgb in photoshop, do I have to change the profile in "displays" to srgb as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.