New tibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
Just bought me a good enough tibook, 667mhz, (looking to upgrade to 1.2 ghz soon), it has 512 ram, 32mb graphics and a 40 gig hard drive, to me this sounds like a pretty darn good machine. I havent recieved my tibook yet, what I want to know is wether the tibook has features such as bluetooth and airport all ready put in with it? Although is it really true that this machine can match a 1.17 ghz laptop pc. What are the real let downs and what are the best features about this computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
makwanad said:
Just bought me a good enough tibook, 667mhz, (looking to upgrade to 1.2 ghz soon), it has 512 ram, 32mb graphics and a 40 gig hard drive, to me this sounds like a pretty darn good machine. I havent recieved my tibook yet, what I want to know is wether the tibook has features such as bluetooth and airport all ready put in with it?
Possibly AirPort, but bluetooth would have to be a $40 USB add-on.
Although is it really true that this machine can match a 1.17 ghz laptop pc.
Not really. Only under very, very specific and rare conditions.
What are the real let downs and what are the best features about this computer?
http://lowendmac.com/pb2/g4-800.html
Keep in mind that it's about four years old. It's not state-of-the-art anymore, but it should be useable for business tasks, music, and the web.

They're generally full-featured notebooks, with a design that's still sleek and thin, and a pretty nice screen. The screen hinge can be fragile; try not to let it sit on the hinges when it's in a bag or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
comparing the g4 processor to any sort of windows laptop in your situation is like comparing apples to oranges.

this computer will be just fine for you for a bunch of general computing stuff, you may want to invest in some more ram depending on what you are doing with your system.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Depending on what you do with it it should be a great computer. It's hard to compare apples to oranges (well, er pc's) in the speed game, since they have different operating systems and work differently. Basically though, you should see about that comparison in your typical run of the mill computing - email, surfing, general chat, music, etc. You would probably notice it slower than your comparison with video camera chatting or if you have lots of high power gaming going on. My daughter's ibook 500 with Panther is as fast as my son's Thinkpad 1 Ghz with Win XP. In fact, in most run of the mill applications it's as fast as my G4 1.33 with Tiger (I think Panther was the fastest OSX version of them all from the ones I have used over the years). However, his pc has to have Windows defender (antispyware), and AVG antivirus running constantly to keep that crap to a minimum but never totally eliminated, whereas her iBook has no need for them since she can't get viruses or spyware. Not to mention his XP has tons of TSR junk (all those little system tray icons) that loads up at startup taking up resources that Mac's do not need. But yeah, youll have to add bluetooth to the usb if you want it, and who knows about airport - those were sold both with and without so it would depend if the original buyer got it. Its a simple installation if it doesnt have it, but they still run about $100 for the card used on ebay. Good luck. You'll love it if you've never had an Apple before, although it will take a little getting used to (2-3 weeks and you'll be a pro).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
coach_z said:
comparing the g4 processor to any sort of windows laptop in your situation is like comparing apples to oranges.

this computer will be just fine for you for a bunch of general computing stuff, you may want to invest in some more ram depending on what you are doing with your system.
-chris
LOL Gynx. Funny we came up with the same comparison at the same time. Yours hadn't posted before I started working on my reply. :)

OP
makwanad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
rcltrh said:
Depending on what you do with it it should be a great computer. It's hard to compare apples to oranges (well, er pc's) in the speed game, since they have different operating systems and work differently. Basically though, you should see about that comparison in your typical run of the mill computing - email, surfing, general chat, music, etc. You would probably notice it slower than your comparison with video camera chatting or if you have lots of high power gaming going on. My daughter's ibook 500 with Panther is as fast as my son's Thinkpad 1 Ghz with Win XP. In fact, in most run of the mill applications it's as fast as my G4 1.33 with Tiger (I think Panther was the fastest OSX version of them all from the ones I have used over the years). However, his pc has to have Windows defender (antispyware), and AVG antivirus running constantly to keep that crap to a minimum but never totally eliminated, whereas her iBook has no need for them since she can't get viruses or spyware. Not to mention his XP has tons of TSR junk (all those little system tray icons) that loads up at startup taking up resources that Mac's do not need. But yeah, youll have to add bluetooth to the usb if you want it, and who knows about airport - those were sold both with and without so it would depend if the original buyer got it. Its a simple installation if it doesnt have it, but they still run about $100 for the card used on ebay. Good luck. You'll love it if you've never had an Apple before, although it will take a little getting used to (2-3 weeks and you'll be a pro).

This does seem pretty **** good to me, oh and I already own an ibook 500 and have done since Christmas, this is also reminding me that I need to sell it. I'm hoping to run logic express or ableton live on it, I'm also hoping that the time it takes to open applications is alot quicker than the time my ibook 500 takes, another thing is the battery, the battery on my ibook 500 lasts about 20 mins nowaday apparently the tibook im getting lasts two hours, how much are replacement batteries (in pounds) for tibooks? I look on ebay and some prices are daft.

My final question would be wether it is possible to install tiger over 10.2.8 by borrowing my friends disk that came with his ibook g4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.