2014 macbook pro only starts in safe mode

Reaction score
hello guys,

i have a 2014 macbook pro. im not sure what the problem is but it only starts in safe mode. when i start it in regular mode, it lets you log in and works for a minute and then it freezes. i even tried to plug a keyboard in to see if it works, and it doesnt. just doesnt work in regular mode.

it works flawlessly in safe mode

ive reset everything and it still is not working.

could it be liquid damage or what?

any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

First, you need to understand what happens when your Mac uses Safe Mode: Safe mode shuts down all third party kexts (drivers) and start up programs. It also stops sound from working. That tells us since your MacBook Pro works in safe mode, that there is likely a third party program or driver that is causing the problem. You need to play detective and find it. Start by going into System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items, and remove everything listed there. You'll need to click on the small lock and enter your password first.

You mentioned liquid damage... did you spill anything on your MacBook Pro?

Also, if you are running any kind of Mac cleanup software or anti-virus software, uninstall it as it's not needed. Let us know how you're getting along with this.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the welcome

That doesn't make much sense as I've re installed Mac like 3 times. I hope it's not something big

I haven't spilled anything on it but I did buy it online so I'm wondering if somebody else did

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buying a used computer on line has its risks. You just have to assume at this point in time that nothing was spilled on it. You do need to follow thru what I outlined above about the startup items though.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As your operating system clearly works in safe mode reinstalling it won't help. There is something that runs in regular mode that is causing your problem. Despite it being a boring job there is no other way than a process of elimination to find the culprit.
There are however some top suspects and as the problem occurs almost immediately after login it is likely to be something that starts automatically at login.
Open System Preferences (while in safe mode) and go to Users and Groups. You should see a window with two tab options, Password and Login Items, open login items and Delete all items in the list. You need to use the Plus/Minus buttons at the bottom of the list and you will need to login with your admin password to do this.
*Do not think that unticking the items is the same, this just hides the items at startup.
If this fixes the problem you can reintroduce them one at a time if you wish or just wait until they ask for permission.
Things like Anti Virus apps are high on the list of suspects so if you have anything like a virus scanner eg Avira or MacKeeper you will need to remove them using the provided uninstaller or developers instructions. Dont just drag the app to the trash, they are often comprised of many parts and partial removal can cause additional problems.
The bottom line is you don't need them anyway.
It is also possible that an otherwise innocent app has become corrupted or damaged.
Lastly if you have "Reopen Windows on Startup" set such as a web browser it's just possible that a malware program has installed itself in your browser.
To check this move out of range/disconnect or switch off your WiFi before startup. After startup quit any online apps like Mail or Browsers then turn your WiFi back on.

Reaction score
Hey I have the same MacBook and I recently faced the same problem as you. I tried Genius Bar and a local repair shop but both said I would have to replace my logicboard but however you can stop your macbook from freezing by playing a video in the background, could be quicktime or youtube, as long as there's a moving part in your screen. Here's a video I made explaining how to do this. I hope this fixes your problem :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VPdqXOsfxo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hey I have the same MacBook and I recently faced the same problem as you.

That video of your's IS NOT the same kind of problem, and if I do dare say so, your "FIX" is nothing more than a crude stopgap method and a complete wast of one's time.

I'm also awfully surprised that here aren't several such comments at your youtube page.

Sorry, and not a good start for your first post here either. And I'd really question that any [Apple] Genius Bar or local [Mac] repair shop would have provided such erroneous advice.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
icd4035 when you re-installed the operating system, did you erase the hard drive, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and install a brand new version of what ever your operating system is?

An erase and fresh install should always be the first thing you do when you bvuy a used Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread origin is more than 6 months old. OP has never responded back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread origin is more than 6 months old. OP has never responded back.

Is it just my imagination or are there really a lot of such posters here doing the same sort of thing — i.e.: never posting back…???

But it is appreciated and nice when so many others do.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happens in forums all the time. Folks join a forum to obtain an answer to a problem they're having but do not follow up with the results even if the problem was resolved.

Reaction score
Macbook safe boot solution

hello guys,

i have a 2014 macbook pro. im not sure what the problem is but it only starts in safe mode. when i start it in regular mode, it lets you log in and works for a minute and then it freezes. i even tried to plug a keyboard in to see if it works, and it doesnt. just doesnt work in regular mode.

it works flawlessly in safe mode

ive reset everything and it still is not working.

could it be liquid damage or what?

any ideas?

I facing the same issue from last 2 months
from here i get solution for safe boot issue How to fix safe boot
you can also try this NVRAM Reset click here How to reset NVRAM
please comment if you still faceing the same issue

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@amryk:

As stated above, the OP has not responded back to this thread. But thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I facing the same issue from last 2 months

Just wondering, but are you still actually experiencing the same problem?? i.e. it works flawlessly in safe mode

- Patrick
======

JJV

Reaction score
As your operating system clearly works in safe mode reinstalling it won't help. There is something that runs in regular mode that is causing your problem. Despite it being a boring job there is no other way than a process of elimination to find the culprit.
There are however some top suspects and as the problem occurs almost immediately after login it is likely to be something that starts automatically at login.
Open System Preferences (while in safe mode) and go to Users and Groups. You should see a window with two tab options, Password and Login Items, open login items and Delete all items in the list. You need to use the Plus/Minus buttons at the bottom of the list and you will need to login with your admin password to do this.
*Do not think that unticking the items is the same, this just hides the items at startup.
If this fixes the problem you can reintroduce them one at a time if you wish or just wait until they ask for permission.
Things like Anti Virus apps are high on the list of suspects so if you have anything like a virus scanner eg Avira or MacKeeper you will need to remove them using the provided uninstaller or developers instructions. Dont just drag the app to the trash, they are often comprised of many parts and partial removal can cause additional problems.
The bottom line is you don't need them anyway.
It is also possible that an otherwise innocent app has become corrupted or damaged.
Lastly if you have "Reopen Windows on Startup" set such as a web browser it's just possible that a malware program has installed itself in your browser.
To check this move out of range/disconnect or switch off your WiFi before startup. After startup quit any online apps like Mail or Browsers then turn your WiFi back on.

Thank you for the suggestions. The one that worked for me is turning wifi off while in safe mode. Then it started like normal. Opened all browers and did not let them returned to opened pages - just shut them down than turned on wifi. All good now. I think it must have been one of by browers hanging it all up.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Likely some site you have visited has downloaded something harmful. I don't use Safari for much except as a repository for my trusted bookmarks. So if I suspect a browser is causing me problems like say Fitefox I simply uninstal it, download a new copy then import my bookmarks from Safari. That might seem drastic but it's fast and easy to do.

JJV

Reaction score
Likely some site you have visited has downloaded something harmful. I don't use Safari for much except as a repository for my trusted bookmarks. So if I suspect a browser is causing me problems like say Fitefox I simply uninstal it, download a new copy then import my bookmarks from Safari. That might seem drastic but it's fast and easy to do.[/QUOTET

Thanks for the response Rod. It's my wife's computer and she said the other day a hotel booking site was redirected to something weird!! Best explanation I can get from her. I agree with your assessment. Might be off topic - but do you use a virus protection program? I had Avast installed on her machine, but I don't really know if it does anything if at all to protect the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's my wife's computer and she said the other day a hotel booking site was redirected to something weird!

I didn't notice it being mentioned…but….

It sounds like a very good time to download and run:
MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

I'd also suggest you uninstall all the pieces of Avast as well unless there's some special reason you might need it.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I second that. I think the free version is still available and will do the job just as well if you run it periodically.

JJV

Reaction score
I didn't notice it being mentioned…but….

It sounds like a very good time to download and run:
MALWAREBYTES FOR MAC
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

I'd also suggest you uninstall all the pieces of Avast as well unless there's some special reason you might need it.

- Patrick
======

Thank you for the suggestions Patrick. I did run TrendMicro on-line and no malware or viruses found. I did uninstall Avast. I thinking of not installing any of these virus programs and rely on Apple in-house protections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.