Recommendations on VM Programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2012) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2018) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, iPhone XR
I have a handful of Windows programs that I would like to use on my new MacBook. I would like to use them concurrently with Mac programs, so if I understand the whole operation, going the Bootcamp or Dual Boot route seems to defeat the purpose.

If I am correct that leaves me to use programs like Parallels. I have read their install procedure and it seems pretty much straight forward, install Parallels and then install Windows 10.

Couple questions come to mind, for the windows 10 install is it better to install on the MacBook internal SSD (256GB) or to install on an external HDD/SSD as not to ever have to worry about the Windows program messing things up. If on any given day, I have no plan to use Windows, can that external drive where Windows is installed be disconnected from the MacBook.

I would like to hear from users that do have Windows installed and what route they took, and if using a program like Parallels, which is your recommendation on program to use and also where to install Windows.

Thanks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you use Boot Camp - because of the way Microsoft has designed their operating systems to run and their EULA, it's currently not possible to install Windows 10 on an external drive. It will refuse to install. Only the Windows 10 Enterprise edition can be installed externally but that version is more expensive and overkill for you. If you intend to use Parallels or VirtualBox (which is free), then you can place the virtual machine of Windows 10 on an external drive. I'm not sure how well it will run that way because you would be running from the USB 3 bus.

I have run Windows both from virtual machines (Fusion and VirtualBox) and a Boot Camp dual boot setup. It depends on which Windows programs you're running when deciding whether to use a VM or Boot Camp. Generally, games and graphic intensive programs run best from a Boot Camp setup but there is always the inconvenience of having to reboot to get from OS X to Windows and back to OS X. Other programs (Office, etc.) run well in a virtual machine and there is no delay in having to reboot. Parallels for example can run a Windows program and make it look like it's running in OS X. Very nice.

The downside of course is the extra expense in buying Parallels or Fusion in addition to the cost of a Windows 10 license. VirtualBox is free but does not offer all the options and frills that Parallels or Fusion offer. However, VirtualBox works well and if you're not fussy about how your desktop looks or integrates with OS X, then maybe that will suffice for you.

OP
Dxhound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2012) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2018) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, iPhone XR
chscag:

Thanks for the info. The Windows Programs that I will be running are not games or graphics intense programs, they require almost the basic of needs. I have no problem purchasing a virtual machine package ie Parallels, Fusion, and Windows 10. I thought I read somewhere that Fusion was going to be discontinued, hence why I was looking at Parallels.

What I was also thinking was to use the Thunderbolt 2 Port with a Thunderbolt external drive either SSD or HDD which should provide the speed etc to have Windows on the external drive. That is what I was thinking, not necessary correct in my assumption though, guess time will tell.

Thanks again for the info and if you can give more info or insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

M

MacInWin

I run Windows 7 under Parallels for one application for my wife's business. The "image" that us used to boot Windows is kept on an external drive connected via Thunderbolt. It is pretty quick and responsive and works well for me. At one point I did have Win10 installed as well, but the Windows App didn't have a Win10 version, so after playing with it a while, I got rid of the Win10 virtual machine.

I run that windows system without antivirus because it never goes online. If somehow it gets a virus, I have a second copy of it as originally created, so I can simply delete the infected image and replace it with the good duplicate. That keeps the performance of the Windows virtual machine pretty snappy.

OP
Dxhound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake

Thanks for the info. That is the method that I am planning to use. Worst case scenario I can also go back to Windows 7 if required. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.