Switchers in Danger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
dtravis7 said:
An AMD/ATI PC? :spook:

What about my AMD machine with an Nvidia GeForce2? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
baggss said:
Oh, that's right, and Dell, Gateway and HP all make their OWN hardware...?

And the term PC has always meant personal computer. The Windows using world simply deemed it to mean boxes running Windows. Since Macs are now running on the x86 architecture, doesn't that, by your definition, make a Mac a PC?

I never said dell or hp or other OEM make hardware, i know they dont make hardware, they buy in bulk and toss it together and sell it with their name on it in as many places as possible. It would be just as wrong for PC World to say Dell makes the most reliable hardware , or about HP or comcrap or gateway or any OEM seller, so dont try to turn this around as if i am a hardcore Windows based supporter trying to put down apple.

I know it has always meant personal computer, and with windows owning over %90 of the computer world, the term was tied to windows based computers, you can thank alot of that to marketing, it just happened, personally i dont find my self saying PC, i always say "where's your comp", "how is your comp running"

baggss said:
You do know that the new Intel Macs ARE PCs and will run Windows better than many name-brand PCs, right?

I would love to see the facts on that one....

Considering if the hardware is identical, how could it run slower ? That makes no sense. Thas like saying a yellow ferrari is faster then a blue ferrari because it is yellow.

I am not over familiar with boot camp, but doesnt boot camp just provide a method for the system, to see windows? Or is windows actually being emulated with in boot camp? thus likely loading more of the O/S into memory ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mathiau said:
I never said dell or hp or other OEM make hardware, i know they dont make hardware, they buy in bulk and toss it together and sell it with their name on it in as many places as possible. It would be just as wrong for PC World to say Dell makes the most reliable hardware , or about HP or comcrap or gateway or any OEM seller, so dont try to turn this around as if i am a hardcore Windows based supporter trying to put down apple.

It may not have been your intent, but that was certainly how it sounded. Mags like PC World publish articles like this all the time, the only thing new is that they decided to single out Apple vice a mainstream PC maker. The fact that NO PC maker makes their own hardware is somewhat irrelevant here.

Mathiau said:
I would love to see the facts on that one....

Considering if the hardware is identical, how could it run slower ? That makes no sense. Thas like saying a yellow ferrari is faster then a blue ferrari because it is yellow.

I am not over familiar with boot camp, but doesnt boot camp just provide a method for the system, to see windows? Or is windows actually being emulated with in boot camp? thus likely loading more of the O/S into memory ?

Do a web search, there were several articles, some of them linked on these forums, about the MBPs and MBs running Windows faster than their existing counterparts. Different configurations, even with similar hardware, can run differently.

Bootcamp allows a mechanism for Windows to see the system. Macs don't use the standard BIOS that most PCs do; they use an EFI instead, which XP (and supposedly Vista) do not understand. Bootcamp provides the bridge between the EFI and Windows to allow Windows to function on the hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks baggs for the info on boot camp, i hadnt seen any articles myself and if that is the case, talk about a slap in the face to MS :), i had heard about thew new EFI and i had thought Vista was heading in that direction.

I am sorry my response prior sounded as such, i had no itention of sounding that way, to me it is relevent because it show just how reliable PC World magazine is, it isnt, they provide people with wrong information, those out there who know little about computers would then be lead to beleive that apple makes everything in the computers they sell, which is wrong and miss-leading.

PC World Magazine is just another publication that praises who ever sends them the biggest check, hence why i never read it, nor many other computer magazines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mathiau said:
thanks baggs for the info on boot camp, i hadnt seen any articles myself and if that is the case, talk about a slap in the face to MS :), i had heard about thew new EFI and i had thought Vista was heading in that direction.

I am sorry my response prior sounded as such, i had no itention of sounding that way, to me it is relevent because it show just how reliable PC World magazine is, it isnt, they provide people with wrong information, those out there who know little about computers would then be lead to beleive that apple makes everything in the computers they sell, which is wrong and miss-leading.

PC World Magazine is just another publication that praises who ever sends them the biggest check, hence why i never read it, nor many other computer magazines.

No worries. Originally Vista was going to support EFI, now MS says no, but who know, that could change before it ships....

A

Annie

no bootcamp for me

I purchased a macbook (haven't received it yet) - I have a dell PC desktop that I have to use for work but if I didn't need a pc I would never put bootcamp on my macbook - I bought a macbook to get away from dreaded Windows! LOL

Annie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont mind windows, i seem to be one of the few people who can have it running flawlessly, also been using it for ages, so i am very used to it.

I do really want to learn OS X as well as i know windows, cant do me any harm! and bootcamp just gives me more incentive to buy the macbook, most windows based laptops with a core duo and similar spec to the macbook i am finding are either the same price, or 1-$200 more... funny how apple, the previously, overpriced hardware vendor is now competing better with x86 based OEM's. - but, in the other OEM"s you can upgrade the CPU. (take a hint Apple)

So why buy a x86 Windows based system that can only run 2 O/S - when now i can get a Macbook and run 3 O/S (OSX / Linux / Windows)

:D

P

Proteus

Yeah... I'm one of them. I made the switch because I thought, "hey I can run Windows or OSX". What I found after installing Windows is that I NEVER use it. I only used it for my Adobe CS2 that I purchased for Windows, but when a buddy of mine let me borrow his copy for OS X, it was gone.

I will say that certain law schools and graduate schools require a Windows PC. Some workplaces require this as well because of Microsoft Active Directory. You can use the Mac Utility "Directory Access" to avoid installing Windows, but I've never tried it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.