Switchers in Danger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
lol for some reason I always think everything is hidden. Thanks Kokopelli.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
this isn't a big deal. while it's possible that the software will just stop working when leopard comes out, it's much more likely that your license will simply expire and the software will be illegal to use any longer. if you are using boot camp, as i currently am, you should buy leopard and continue to dual boot if you are concerned about the license. if apple just made boot camp stop working and people couldn't access their windows files, they would have a mass-exodus back to windows. they aren't stupid.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Most people should know that they are using beta software with a time limit. So if they make regular back ups, then there should be no problems when the time linit is reached.

O

orthocross

imacdoyou said:
I agree. One of the main reasons I switched was to get away from Windows. Who would have guessed within a month of receiving my Mac that Windows followed me over? :)

NOTE that Microsoft did NOT write BootCamp, or have anything to do with it's release.

This was APPLE's idea, so "Windows did NOT follow you over."

I switched for two reasons: I was bored with XP, and my brother offered me the use of one of his older (and less powerful) PowerMac G5 when he purchased a newer (and more powerful) PowerMac G5.

Soon, I will be purchasing his first Intel Mac, when he purchases a newer (and larger) Intel iMac.

While I do like OS X, I plan for sure on dual-booting with Windows, since OX newsreaders leave much to be desired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
orthocross said:
While I do like OS X, I plan for sure on dual-booting with Windows, since OX newsreaders leave much to be desired.

What Newsreader are you using? MT-Newswatcher is good for text or pictures, but for files, I use UNISON.

N

ncooper15

personally I switched because of what apple had to offer with OSX and their hardware, but I have been a die hard windows user since windows 3.1 and it was hard for me to switch. But once I heard about Apple going to intel I knew that would open a lot of doors up. So I made the jump to mac and never looked back, now I get the best of both worlds you cann't beat that and Steve Jobs would be a fool, to shut down boot camp after a certin date. keep the switchers happy, means more proffit for apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core duo 2 ghz, 1 gb ram, 256 Mb gfx, 500Gb storage, OSX 10.4.6 and XP sp2
Sorry to bring this old thread up but I felt the need to reply, heh.

Anyway, im probably wrong but heres what I think.

Isnt Boot camp simply a piece of software that partitions your drive and then sets up your mac so it can install windows and duel boot. If so, once it5s been executed and used, and the drive is partitions with windows and osx seperate, boot camp plays no part in this anymore. In theory would you be able to erase bootcamp from your apps in osx and it would still all function fine.

I use boot camp myself, and in xp the only reference to anything about it is in control panel, the small program that lets you set the default OS.

Or am I totally wrong, and boot camp is what runs as soon as I turn on my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Gimpy said:
Sorry to bring this old thread up but I felt the need to reply, heh.

Anyway, im probably wrong but heres what I think.

Isnt Boot camp simply a piece of software that partitions your drive and then sets up your mac so it can install windows and duel boot. If so, once it5s been executed and used, and the drive is partitions with windows and osx seperate, boot camp plays no part in this anymore. In theory would you be able to erase bootcamp from your apps in osx and it would still all function fine.

I use boot camp myself, and in xp the only reference to anything about it is in control panel, the small program that lets you set the default OS.

Or am I totally wrong, and boot camp is what runs as soon as I turn on my mac?

I believe Bootcamp also unlocks the Boot Rom for use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Why doesn't someone just change their date and find out? I'm still running my G4 Cube right now, so I can't, but if it's as simple as playing with the date...someone give it a shot already! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 80 GB | 1 GB RAM
"The majority of Mac users will never put Windows on their computer."

That's just not true. When I get an Intel Mac I plan on putting Windows on it for several reasons. And I think that most Mac users (being more intelligent than Windows users) would see the advantages of having a dual or even triple bootable machine (with Linux of course).

L

Logan

I put Windows on my Mac Mini just to show it's possible. I use my machine to show off Mac's product, because all my friends have NO IDEA what macs are doing now adays.

I never actually run my Windows partition, so it usually just sits there.... but in the rare instance someone says "what if I want to run <window product> ?" I say "You can use bootcamp."

Mac users may cringe at the thought of WindowsXP on their machine, but nobody says you have to run it. However, the truth is that the more compatible a mac machine is, the more sales they're going to get. I don't know if you notice but with this movement Mac is basically creating an industry of itself. It is telling their customers "You used to run Windows? No problem. Use it on a mactel natively. When you want to use OS X (a far superior product) It's there for you too. Enjoy your products, take best of both worlds."

I see most people taking the above situation, and turning it to: "I use OS X most of the time. I use Windows XP in the rare case I have to."

More people using it, more software written for it. :D

More software written for, more people using it. More people using it, more people realizing and sharing it's a superior product. More people realizing, less people using Windows. Less people using windows, the world a happier, safer, and less vulnerable place.

You know I used to hate mac. I totally cringed at the mere mention of it. I enjoyed linux, unix, and windows because you felt like you had control of the product. I always jumped on OS 9 or some such and was disgusted you had to drag drop the CD to your trash bin. Just the simple little things to me are terrible.

OS X changed my mind on this. I finally bit the bullet and checked it out, I was pleasantly surprised how well the product ran, how more "realistic" the UI felt and most of all a built in terminal that brought me right back home to my *nix world. It to me was a mixture for the two things I enjoy most, the console of unix and a K.I.S.S. UI. My only catch when buying my mac at that point was realizing it would only run OS X products. If it wasn't written for OS X, that computer would never see a program or game I may want it to run. Lo and behold the intel chip idea comes out, bootcamp, and now you aren't emulating winXp, not even a virtual machine desktop, you're literally running it, natively. 100%. Driver support introduced. World is a happy place.

Hopefully the trial version and future of bootcamp isn't radically changed. But right now, I absolutely love it.

I see Macs as a quality product that is compatible with everything, (I even run a LiveCD version of Slackware Linux called SLAX on it... I'll learn how to partition my hard drive more however and boot it from the partition later). I'm looking forward to how macs will move on from this point.

M

McNewbie

techster82 said:
The expiration of Boot Camp will only affect user's that don't know how to apply the opensource product that existed before boot camp.

Do you mean that those that have already got Bootcamp installed into their Intel Macs would not be affected by such a change? This is my 2nd Mac within the last month and first one I did install Windows only to not use it since installation :rolleyes: haven't yet installed it into this one but just wanna know what options I will have in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Mattlike said:
I may be in the minority but I have no real interest of loading Windows XP on my MacBook.

I love OS X, don't play games, and have other Windows machines. I figure all that Windows on my iMac will give me, is yet another Windows install to have to update, virus-scan, firewall, maintain, etc. For awhile I considered installing it via boot camp, "just because", but now I think I've decided it's just not worth it or necessary. And, though I don't play games, I've always felt that it's far more cost effective to just buy a game console. Anyway, that's my $.02.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Installed bootcamp and WindowsXP on my Macbook just so I could finally get rid of my Dell. I don't do much with XP other than using it occassionally for IE. Since I do web design it's important that I can look at it in Windows to make sure things look ok.

So now at home we have my G5 iMac, Macbook with Bootcamp, and a 17" G4 Powerbook. Bye, bye Dell!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
kaidomac said:
Why doesn't someone just change their date and find out? I'm still running my G4 Cube right now, so I can't, but if it's as simple as playing with the date...someone give it a shot already! :)
Just tried that right now, set the date to 2008 and rebooted and tried to run the boot camp assistant, it informed me that it was expired and didnt launch the app :(. We will have to see what apple does....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Noxian said:
Just tried that right now, set the date to 2008 and rebooted and tried to run the boot camp assistant, it informed me that it was expired and didnt launch the app :(. We will have to see what apple does....

Where did you set the date, in OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
kaidomac said:
Where did you set the date, in OS X?
Under Date & Time in the System Preferences, I would assume.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
Under Date & Time in the System Preferences, I would assume.
:black:
Correct I just bumped it up to 2008 and then rebooted my MacBook.

D

deepy

can u guys check if the expiry date is in fact September 30, 2007?

I'm going to be a switcher soon enough but I'll definitely need windows for another year (my final year of uni) so really if bootcamp lasts til Sept 30 2007 or even july 07 then i'll be happy.

also, will the proper release of boot camp be available for tiger if i didnt want to upgrade to leopard? could it be a free download?

also one last point - does changing the date back from 2008 to the current date make it work again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deepy said:
can u guys check if the expiry date is in fact September 30, 2007?

I'm going to be a switcher soon enough but I'll definitely need windows for another year (my final year of uni) so really if bootcamp lasts til Sept 30 2007 or even july 07 then i'll be happy.

also, will the proper release of boot camp be available for tiger if i didnt want to upgrade to leopard? could it be a free download?

also one last point - does changing the date back from 2008 to the current date make it work again?
Unless someone beats me to it, I will try what you asked tonight, My MacBook is busy right now encoding a video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.