desktop variety

F

fuscia

how much variety is there in arranging one's desktop, in tiger? as a linux user, i'm spoiled by the seemingly infinite variety of themes and icon sets (infinite, if you include all the lame ones too, that is). i've looked through macthemes.net (jetblack might be enough to do it for me) and interfacelift.com and i see a lot of very nice things. what's the desktop configuration like? when i look through collections of mac screenshots, a lot of them look the same, but this is true of linux screenshots as well. so, is it the limitation of the desktop, or the limitation of the general user's imagination (no offense intended)? thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The latter. My desktop is ridiculously over customized and includes a theme (provided by Shapeshifter), multiple desktop pictures (they change every 30 seconds), and custom icons.

It really is limited by the user's imagination and knowledge on customization. A lot of Mac users don't even know about Shapeshifter, Pixadex, Candybar, Deskshade, etc etc etc. There are hundreds of programs out there to let a Mac user customize the way the Mac looks.

Once you do that, you can start editing .nib files, .strings, and .plists to make everything look exactly how you want it to.

OP
F

fuscia

surfwax95 said:
The latter. My desktop is ridiculously over customized and includes a theme (provided by Shapeshifter), multiple desktop pictures (they change every 30 seconds), and custom icons.

It really is limited by the user's imagination and knowledge on customization. A lot of Mac users don't even know about Shapeshifter, Pixadex, Candybar, Deskshade, etc etc etc. There are hundreds of programs out there to let a Mac user customize the way the Mac looks.

ok, well now, that sounds like fun. is all that stuff free?

Once you do that, you can start editing .nib files, .strings, and .plists to make everything look exactly how you want it to.

this sounds like the type of thing i'm interested in. i'm a non-tech person who doesn't have much call for calculating coin toss probabilities, but i still like to tinker, so tweaking the look of my desktop is something i can get excited about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, no, it's not all free. Shapeshifter is $20, Pixadex is $10, and Candybar is $12 if I recall correctly. There are free alternatives, but like most things free, they don't work too well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a quick screenshot to show you, I know it's small, but Photobucket has limitations:

screenshawt.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imageshack > Photobucket

Thanks GS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I wish I could use Shapeshifter on my MaBook Pro. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ See what I mean, fuscia?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
caveatipss said:
Very nice!

;) , I try. That theme by the way is Ruler Aero if you're running ShapeShifter and are looking for a good theme.

Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
;) , I try. That theme by the way is Ruler Aero if you're running ShapeShifter and are looking for a good theme.
I was just going to ask what, exactly, that was. Very nice. I might have to look into that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.