App store games that will not run on a new MBPR

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is it just me or does it seem strange that the App Store have a number of graphically demanding games that cannot be run with the stock standard latest model MPRr.

When you purchase a brand new MBP and download a game such as Bioshock Infinity, Deus EX, Metro Last Light, even Outlast they may struggle with the standard Intel Iris 6100 graphics card.

The standard suggested graphics cards are almost without exception Radeon HD 3870 or 2600 or (Nvidia): GeForce 650m or 880. The more demanding Deus EX Human Revolution lists eight that are not supported and only one that is.

Occasionally the requirements section will list the graphics cards that will not work but not always.

Some games suggest 16Gb RAM (double the standard 8Gb) and four times the standard 4Gb for the 2012 model. Considering the RAM chips are soldered to the logic board in the 2015 model there is little chance of upgrading them. So you would need to get 16Gb at purchase or do without.
The bottom line here is that prior to shelling out the $30 to $60+ dollars for one of these games and investing in the hours of download time required it would be advised to contact the developers and ask if it will play on your device.

It just surprises me that despite these games often being modified versions of the standard retail versions they require hardware that does not come standard with even the latest model Mac Books.

It is also confusing that despite the developers advice some games will play very well on some devices that are below the advised spec's. For example Feral Interactive told me that Deus EX Human Revolution would not run well with less than 8Gb RAM although the App store says 4Gb is sufficient. I played the whole game with only a few screen freezes on my 2012 MBP 4Gb RAM and a Intel HD Graphics 4000 which is specifically stated as Not Supported.

So it seems to me (and this is apparent from the reviews section of these apps on the App Store), users experiences also vary widely. Games that should run don't and some that shouldn't do.

My experience is if your specs are close, download and give it a try, if it doesn't run you will have to rely on Apple's very generous refund policy. There have only been a few occasions where I have had to fall back on this option, but in both instances my money was refunded quickly and without question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In my experience Rod the App Store follows that old Roman rule 'A buck is a buck is a buck'.

In days gone by the App Store was selling .. Norton Anti Virus!

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I had that. And Chas, I will try to remember to insert paragraph breaks in future, sometimes I just get carried away and rattle off more than intended, thanks.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and just as an aside I have just downloaded Oddworld; Strangers Wrath. This is a game with the most modest system requirements I have seen for ages, should play on almost any Mac. Great graphics, amusing dialogue, and looks like it was designed for an iPhone or iPad with it's huge buttons and menu display but dont be put off by that, this is great fun, cheap and quite challenging.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.