PB sleeps while working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Well tonight has been very frustrating because my 17" 1.67GHz PB G4 has been shutting down continually while I am trying to use it. Pretty much the only thing that works is taking out the battery and using the computer plugged in with the adapter, I also have it propped up about half an inch in the back. I looked in the logs and something is telling the computer that it is overheating and forcing it to sleep. I know its not overheating because its not even hot, so I know something is wrong and I think the trackpad has something to do with it. There are a ton of threads about it on the apple discussion board, search "PB sleeps while working" and it has pretty much come down to needing the logic board and the top case replaced. So far it has only happened on 1.67GHz powerbooks, mainly the 17" a few 15". I am going to call Applecare tomorrow to see whats happening and what they are going to do to fix it, and ill post here with the results.

To make things worse I am a graphic design major and my finals are next week, and the week after. I have to make a 30 page book, 5 logos in BW and Color, a poster, another book of unknown pages, and I need to scan about 50 sketches. This is probably the absolute worst time something like this could happen.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like you will have to deal with the school lab will your system is being repaired. :( Hopefully it can get done in a timely fashion. :)

OP
PunkRockTuba
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I called apple today, but im at school and I dont have the install disks on me so we cant run a hardware test. Hopefully I can get the logic board and or the top case replaced, or maybe reinstalling the OS will fix it, because its almost unbearable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.