Can not update iOS on iPad

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
The iPad does look very different now, but it was only left updated for so long because it is almost never used. My Mac, on the other hand, gets updated all the time so although the iPad now looks different it also looks more like my wife's iPhone and feels a bit more like my Mac.

When I do use it now it no longer feels like my first Apple product.

I rarely used the iPad because I bought and started using a MacBook Pro. When I traveled the MBP was almost as easy to carry as the iPad and it was a much more capable device. Now that I am giving my MBP to my step-son I will probably start using it again so I am glad that I was able to get it updated, thanks to all of the help on this forum.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now with the newer iOS installed, you won't even need to use your iTunes for any iOS software updates if you have a wireless Internet setup as it can now be done using it, if there will be any. It's accessed via the iOS Settings and can be done via wireless.

But some don't like or trust that method it seems.

- Patrick
==========
I updated this using my MBP but it was talking wirelessly to my router when downloading the update so I don't much see any real difference if I am using wireless to update the iPad directly. That is what I assume I will do from this point on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I updated this using my MBP but it was talking wirelessly to my router when downloading the update so I don't much see any real difference if I am using wireless to update the iPad directly. That is what I assume I will do from this point on.

Hi again Mike - upgrading/updating an iOS w/ iTunes via a cable to a computer may have advantages if there is insufficient storage left on the iDevice for an OTA transfer and/or also if a Wi-Fi connection is slow. But in your case, your iPad is already at its maximum iOS upgrade, i.e. 9.3.5, so further updates are not the issue - of course, you may want to DL apps that will run w/ that version or backup the device to the cloud - Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Mike - upgrading/updating an iOS w/ iTunes via a cable to a computer may have advantages if there is insufficient storage left on the iDevice for an OTA transfer and/or also if a Wi-Fi connection is slow. But in your case, your iPad is already at its maximum iOS upgrade, i.e. 9.3.5, so further updates are not the issue - of course, you may want to DL apps that will run w/ that version or backup the device to the cloud - Dave :)
I will see how things go. As long as I had my MBP I really had no need for the iPad and so it just sat on a shelf in the house, unused and un-updated. Now that the MBP has been promised to someone else I have to decide if I want to start using the iPad again (now that it is up to at least close to a modern OS), get a chrome book (or equivalent) for when I am traveling or take my very old Windows laptop.

Since I no longer used it I stopped cell service on it and now it only works on wifi, but I do have a pretty good Verizon hot spot that I take when I travel so the iPad is still useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
FWIW - Young girl down the road did a wireless update with her iPh and thereafter could not make phone calls, all else seemed to work. I pushed her Dad into doing the update again with iph wired to computer and iTunes - fixed the glitch. My guess a break in the wireless connection dropped a bit of data.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW - Young girl down the road did a wireless update with her iPh and thereafter could not make phone calls, all else seemed to work. I pushed her Dad into doing the update again with iph wired to computer and iTunes - fixed the glitch. My guess a break in the wireless connection dropped a bit of data.

Interesting story.

I know changing to iTunes to do the update fixed my issue so perhaps that is what should be done instead of trying to do it wirelessly. Live and learn.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting story.

I know changing to iTunes to do the update fixed my issue so perhaps that is what should be done instead of trying to do it wirelessly. Live and learn.

You would be surprised to learn how many folks that we run into here and other forums who do not own either a Mac or PC, however, they do own an iPad or an iPhone. That kind of makes using iTunes a non starter. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.