Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Once I understood that I was supposed to use the iTunes on my MAC instead of the one on my iPad everything worked.

Now with the newer iOS installed, you won't even need to use your iTunes for any iOS software updates if you have a wireless Internet setup as it can now be done using it, if there will be any. It's accessed via the iOS Settings and can be done via wireless.

But some don't like or trust that method it seems.

- Patrick
    ==========

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Now with the newer iOS installed, you won't even need to use your iTunes for any iOS software updates if you have a wireless Internet setup as it can now be done using it, if there will be any. It's accessed via the iOS Settings and can be done via wireless.

@ Mike - agree w/ Patrick - I have 3 iDevices that I update/upgrade - when I do a minor update (i.e. the number right of the first or second decimal point changes, like 9.x going to 9.y), I first backup the devices and then do an OTA (Over The Air, i.e. wireless) update - however, when I need to upgrade (defined as a change in number to the left of that first decimal point, like 9.x to 10.y), then I will usually cable to our computers and use iTunes - don't know if that makes much of a difference, but just my habit. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

however, when I need to upgrade (defined as a change in number to the left of that first decimal point, like 9.x to 10.y), then I will usually cable to our computers and use iTunes
    Well, that makes two of us.

I just don't trust wireless for large data OS installs, besides it's usually slower.

- Patrick
    ==========

Wow!! That's probably going to be quite an iOS upgrade shock for your use and generally a fair amount of changes.
    - Patrick
    ==========
    The iPad does look very different now, but it was only left updated for so long because it is almost never used. My Mac, on the other hand, gets updated all the time so although the iPad now looks different it also looks more like my wife's iPhone and feels a bit more like my Mac.

When I do use it now it no longer feels like my first Apple product.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 7+, Numerous iPods, Sierra
    Your iPad 3 is still a very useful iDevice. I also have an iPad 3 updated as far as it will go = 9.3.5. We use it for reading and music and although it's considerably slower than my iPhone 6+ or my wife's 6s+, it still works great. My iPad 3 also has cellular capability and since we are with T-Mobile, we receive a complimentary 200 MB of free data every month, but rarely if ever, use cellular.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMesa View Post
    The iPad does look very different now, but it was only left updated for so long because it is almost never used. My Mac, on the other hand, gets updated all the time so although the iPad now looks different it also looks more like my wife's iPhone and feels a bit more like my Mac.

When I do use it now it no longer feels like my first Apple product.
    I rarely used the iPad because I bought and started using a MacBook Pro. When I traveled the MBP was almost as easy to carry as the iPad and it was a much more capable device. Now that I am giving my MBP to my step-son I will probably start using it again so I am glad that I was able to get it updated, thanks to all of the help on this forum.

- Patrick
    ==========
    I updated this using my MBP but it was talking wirelessly to my router when downloading the update so I don't much see any real difference if I am using wireless to update the iPad directly. That is what I assume I will do from this point on.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    I updated this using my MBP but it was talking wirelessly to my router when downloading the update so I don't much see any real difference if I am using wireless to update the iPad directly. That is what I assume I will do from this point on.
    Hi again Mike - upgrading/updating an iOS w/ iTunes via a cable to a computer may have advantages if there is insufficient storage left on the iDevice for an OTA transfer and/or also if a Wi-Fi connection is slow. But in your case, your iPad is already at its maximum iOS upgrade, i.e. 9.3.5, so further updates are not the issue - of course, you may want to DL apps that will run w/ that version or backup the device to the cloud - Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi again Mike - upgrading/updating an iOS w/ iTunes via a cable to a computer may have advantages if there is insufficient storage left on the iDevice for an OTA transfer and/or also if a Wi-Fi connection is slow. But in your case, your iPad is already at its maximum iOS upgrade, i.e. 9.3.5, so further updates are not the issue - of course, you may want to DL apps that will run w/ that version or backup the device to the cloud - Dave
    I will see how things go. As long as I had my MBP I really had no need for the iPad and so it just sat on a shelf in the house, unused and un-updated. Now that the MBP has been promised to someone else I have to decide if I want to start using the iPad again (now that it is up to at least close to a modern OS), get a chrome book (or equivalent) for when I am traveling or take my very old Windows laptop.

Since I no longer used it I stopped cell service on it and now it only works on wifi, but I do have a pretty good Verizon hot spot that I take when I travel so the iPad is still useful.

Specs:
    27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    FWIW - Young girl down the road did a wireless update with her iPh and thereafter could not make phone calls, all else seemed to work. I pushed her Dad into doing the update again with iph wired to computer and iTunes - fixed the glitch. My guess a break in the wireless connection dropped a bit of data.

Quote Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
    FWIW - Young girl down the road did a wireless update with her iPh and thereafter could not make phone calls, all else seemed to work. I pushed her Dad into doing the update again with iph wired to computer and iTunes - fixed the glitch. My guess a break in the wireless connection dropped a bit of data.
    Interesting story.

I know changing to iTunes to do the update fixed my issue so perhaps that is what should be done instead of trying to do it wirelessly. Live and learn.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 7+, Numerous iPods, Sierra
    Interesting story.

I know changing to iTunes to do the update fixed my issue so perhaps that is what should be done instead of trying to do it wirelessly. Live and learn.
    You would be surprised to learn how many folks that we run into here and other forums who do not own either a Mac or PC, however, they do own an iPad or an iPhone. That kind of makes using iTunes a non starter.

Thread Information