Memory upgrade for ibook g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
I got a iBook g4 from ebay the specs are

1.2 ghz
30 gig
768 of ram

if it has 768 of ram what sticks would it have in it? I want to max it out, what would i buy to do that?

And also, can i buy mac memory from compusa? And how do I tell the difference between mac memory and windows memory, is there a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There's not a difference. As long as it's the same specs as the RAM it has in it, you'll be fine. Don't skimp and buy cheap RAM, though, you'll notice it later with kernel panics and what not.

The iBook G4s have 1 upgradeable slot with 512 soldered to the motherboard. So you have an extra 128MB. Your computer maxes out at 1.5GB of RAM so you could get a 1GB stick of RAM to replace that 128MB.

Your computer uses DDR333 in a SODIMM. I would recommend Ramjet. Good prices and I've had their RAM in my Powerbook for years and not had one problem.

OP
iphix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.2 ghz / 30GB 4200 / 1.25 GIG
surfwax95 said:
There's not a difference. As long as it's the same specs as the RAM it has in it, you'll be fine. Don't skimp and buy cheap RAM, though, you'll notice it later with kernel panics and what not.

The iBook G4s have 1 upgradeable slot with 512 soldered to the motherboard. So you have an extra 128MB. Your computer maxes out at 1.5GB of RAM so you could get a 1GB stick of RAM to replace that 128MB.

Your computer uses DDR333 in a SODIMM. I would recommend Ramjet. Good prices and I've had their RAM in my Powerbook for years and not had one problem.

Thanks for your reply.
:3

Reaction score
actually, there is 256 mb soldered on, and there is a 512 mb chip in the upgrade slot

for the 1.2 ghz ibooks

the new 1.33 ghz ibooks have 512 soldered on.

if you game then you can try maxing out at newegg.com get the crucial or kingston sodimm 200 pin pc 2700

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.