• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is my iMac too old for this?

Reaction score
I've just bought a Tomtom Bandit action cam. I'm trying it out around the house, but simply playing back the footage on my iMac is very stuttery and poor. I've copied the mp4 from the SD to my SSD on my iMac, so I'm guessing the mac just doesn't have enough grunt to do what I'm asking it to do? Any suggestions of how to improve this? Or it is time to splash out on a new iMac?

My specs are:
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
240GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and elcome to the forums.

I would think your graphics card is your bottle neck with a very limited 256MB capacity whereas more modern machines regular run up to 4GB cards. However, it does share memory and as you have 16GB installed, that is as much as you can go.

And ifixit advises the graphics card is not upgradeable:-

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/8117/Can+I+upgrade+the+graphics+card+on+my+iMac

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you tell us what the resolution of these videos from the Tomtom bandit action cam are?

If you're shooting in 4k Ultra HD resolution (like this action cam can do)...this could be the issue (too high a resolution). Which as Harry advised...the video hardware on your 2009 iMac may not be able to handle that sort of resolution.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was worried that would be the case. It's a shame as it does everything else I need which is surprising since I bought it 6+ years ago. Looks like I'll have to look into a new one. Problem I have is that the new ones can't be DIY upgraded in terms of SSD and ram as I understand it and the cost from Apple is eye watering.

I've tried shooting as low as 720p but still poor playback. I think it's the bitrate rather than the resolution. The bitrates are around 20,000kbps+. Other HD movies I have are around 2,000kpbs I believe.

OP
W
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I managed to get the full size video onto my iPad Air 2 (via Dropbox) and it plays perfectly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like I'll have to look into a new one. Problem I have is that the new ones can't be DIY upgraded in terms of SSD and ram as I understand it...

Depends what you were to get. RAM on 27" iMac's is still user upgradeable.:) Quite an expensive purchase (to get videos from this action cam to run smoothly)...if everything else you do on this 2009 iMac is fine.

If it were me. Before purchasing a new/newer computer. I would try to find a friend, family member, coworker, etc who has a newer Apple computer...and see if your videos play smoothly with a newer Mac. Or maybe go to your nearest Apple store...and see if they will let you play your videos on a new computer.

Word of warning. If you go to the Apple store...you are VERY likely to walk out with a new computer (needed or not)!!!;)

...and the cost from Apple is eye watering.

Not exactly true. The price of your entry level Late 2009 21.5" iMac back in 2009 was $1199. The price of a brand new 2015 entry level 21.5" iMac is $1099 ($100 less than what your 2009 iMac cost). And even the better one level up 2015 21.5" iMac is $1299 (only $100 more than what you paid for your 2009 iMac).

These prices are not "eye watering" compared to the price of a 2009 21.5" iMac.;)

And if you purchased the "better" $1299 2015 21.5" iMac I mentioned above (refurbished)...it would only cost $1099. This would be the exact same price as you paid for your 2009 21.5" iMac...and...it's a better computer in the product line (better than entry level)...which is what your 2009 21.5" iMac was (entry level).

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FK442LL/A/refurbished-215-inch-imac-28ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i5

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. My 'eye watering' comment was referring to the additional price for customising a new iMac with more RAM and an SSD from Apple. But I take what you're saying and agree with you, it certainly is an expensive purchase just to get a few action cam vids :Smirk:. One thing I have tried is running the video through Handbrake which appears to have worked. It has lowered the bitrate to something that my machine can handle a bit better. It's more time consuming but it means I can squeeze a bit more life out of the old iMac yet.

I guess £1,000/$1,000 for 6 years computing isn't bad at all.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 'eye watering' comment was referring to the additional price for customising a new iMac with more RAM and an SSD from Apple.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. Yes...the upgrades are usually pretty pricey. Enough so...that it many times it encourages someone to just upgrade to a higher model computer.

I guess £1,000/$1,000 for 6 years computing isn't bad at all.

Again sorry. Didn't realize your currency was pounds. Maybe the 2009 & 2015 21.5" iMac pricing does not work out as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've just bought a Tomtom Bandit action cam. I'm trying it out around the house, but simply playing back the footage on my iMac is very stuttery and poor.

I guess you've seen and read this???

PREVENTING POOR PLAYBACK OF VIDEOS ON YOUR COMPUTER
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...ting-poor-playback-of-videos-on-your-computer

And a few other hits to maybe check out for hints or other suggestions:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5o9xWMyGOuPe8AffjIeAAw

- Patrick
==========

OP
W
Reaction score
I guess you've seen and read this???

PREVENTING POOR PLAYBACK OF VIDEOS ON YOUR COMPUTER
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...ting-poor-playback-of-videos-on-your-computer

And a few other hits to maybe check out for hints or other suggestions:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5o9xWMyGOuPe8AffjIeAAw

- Patrick
==========

You've guessed correctly. I went there first. I guess there are minimal people trying to edit HD video on the bottom of the range 6 year old iMac.

OP
W
Reaction score
Again sorry. Didn't realize your currency was pounds. Maybe the 2009 & 2015 21.5" iMac pricing does not work out as well.

- Nick

Yes, I'm pretty sure Apple just swap the currency symbol from $ to £ on their UK pricing anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.