2015 MacBook Air Purchase

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Purchased a used (12 month old) 2015 MacBook Air today...wanted to share some of the experience.:)

The purchase is for my wife's upcoming birthday. She currently has a 13" 2011 MacBook Air (4gig RAM, 1.8ghz i7, HD 3000 graphics, 256gig storage) running El Capitan. She does some online gaming that requires flash. Some of the games are really getting slow...and the fan is constantly at very high rpm's when gaming. And she likes to have lots of apps open simultaineously. Thus the 4gig of RAM and HD 3000 graphics are probably really showing their age.

The "new to us" (used) computer is an Early 2015 13" MacBook Air. 1.6ghz i5 CPU, 8gig RAM, HD 6000 graphics, 128gig storage, running OS 10.12 (Sierra):

- The CPU benchmarks are pretty much the same between the 2011 & 2015.
- The 8gig of RAM is a nice upgrade (from 4gig).
- The HD 6000 graphics is a HUGE upgrade from the HD 3000 graphics. Online games scroll MUCH more smoothly. And the the 2015 MBA is almost silent while gaming...while the fan on the 2011 is roaring!
- The only downgrade is the storage. Down from 256gig to 128gig. But I believe OWC sells an upgrade for this.

The transaction went smoothly. We met at a local Starbuck's (where else for "Apple Snobs")!lol

Seller seemed nice (and honest).;) Checked the computer out (cosmetically, functionally, etc.). Seemed to be in excellent shape. Seller had the original box (always a positive sign). And it shows no real external cosmetic issues (not always easy to do after 12 months of use with no protective shell or skin). Had about 159 battery cycles on it. Unfortuately no Applecare remains (12 month Applecare expired on it recently). All seems well so far.:)

Current Apple new price is $999...refurbished price is $849. I got it for $600 (1 year old).

This is actually the most I've paid for a computer in a really long time. Usually the computers we purchase (personal use) are 2-3 years old and in the $400 or less area. I usually look for "diamonds in the rough"....negotiate really hard...and I'm not in a big hurry to purchase. If the seller & I cannot come to an agreeable price...we each head our separate ways (no hard feelings).:)

- Nick

p.s. Will be selling the 2011 MacBook Air after the wife's birthday. Hopefully it will sell for at least $300-$350 (if I'm lucky $400). Making the 2015 MacBook Air purchase a net out-of-pocket $200-$300.:)
p.p.s. This was a local Craig's List deal.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a terrific deal Nick. I need to take you along when I go looking for a used car! :p

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes...I do used cars too!;)

Would have liked more storage in the MacBook Air...and a faster CPU. But just don't see very many MacBook Air's with 8gig of RAM on the local Craig's List (plenty of 4gig models). Been looking for an "upgrade" MacBook Air for the wife since before Christmas (would have been a Christmas present of course). Her B-day is mid-Feb. So...B-day gift shopping for her is done!:)

Just have to get the cake!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
And these...;D
IMG_8965.jpg

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ha ha...yes those too!!!:)

Actually I have no troubles being covered in the "flower department". The wife's birthday is only 3 days after Valentine's Day...and...I probably get her at a small bunch of flowers 3-4 Friday's/month. I don't usually get too many sad faces when it comes to back rub time! lol;)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanted to further inspect the "new" computer...and remove the bottom panel off the MacBook Air. Seems Apple has switched from philips head screws to pentalobe screws...so had to get one. I actually purchased a very handy 3-piece pentalobe screwdriver set from Microcenter for just $5.99.

455626_874388_02_front_thumbnail.jpg
Comes with a P2, P5, and P6 pentalobe screwdrivers:

- The P2 is used with iPhone 4's thru iPhone 6's.
- The P5 on newer Apple laptops.
- The P6 (crazy as it sounds)...is only needed for 2009 15" MBP battery removal. But probably has other uses.

If anyone wants a set...here's the Microcenter link ($5.99)...and an Amazon link for a similar product ($8.99):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/455626/Precision_Pentalobe_Screwdriver_Set_-_3_Piece
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NG2ABSU/?tag=macforums0e4-20

- Nick

p.s. Sorry folks outside the US. Links may not be the lowest cost for you. I would imagine lower cost local options should be available.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have two Microcenter stores here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area but getting to them thru traffic is a pain. I usually go to Fry's which is a bit closer and carries the same tools and parts. Also, I believe I saw a Pentalobe set of drivers in Lowes but not for $5.99 or even $8.99.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have two Microcenter stores here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area but getting to them thru traffic is a pain.

Micro Center & Fry's are certainly two of the last great "brick & mortar" true electonics stores. I've been to the Fry's in the Chicago area.

Also, I believe I saw a Pentalobe set of drivers in Lowes but not for $5.99 or even $8.99.

I checked Home Depot & Harbor Freight before I went to Micro Center. Neither had what I needed today. Home Depot did have a P2 pentalobe screwdriver as part of a larger screwdriver set when I needed to replace the battery in my iPhone about 6-9 months ago (which I purchased). But they didn't have the P5 pentalobe screwdriver I needed today. Didn't check Lowe's.

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to mention. One of the main reasons I wanted to remove the bottom panel from the "new to me" MacBook Air...was to check & see if any of the LSI's (Liquid Submersion Indictator's) were triggered.

Thankfully. Of the one's I could see after the bottom panel removal...none were triggered.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2012) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2018) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, iPhone XR
Nick:

Good deal, glad everything worked out.

I had a strange one happen to me yesterday.

I got tired of looking for a MacBook Air on the used market that didn't have outrageous prices or shipping etc, so I went to Apple and looked at the refurbished ones. They had 1 available, so I grabbed it and then started to look for a new mouse etc. Anyways by the time I went to hit process order the Refurbished MacBook Air was gone. What is going on.

I did the online chat with Apple and plus a little complaining I got a brand spanking new MacBook Air 13", 8GB Ram, I5 and 256GB SSD which is exactly what the refurbished one was for $100 cheaper than the Refurbished one.

That is a first for me, and made me quite happy, It is scheduled to be here on Monday...

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got tired of looking for a MacBook Air on the used market that didn't have outrageous prices or shipping etc, so I went to Apple and looked at the refurbished ones. They had 1 available, so I grabbed it and then started to look for a new mouse etc. Anyways by the time I went to hit process order the Refurbished MacBook Air was gone. What is going on.

This can sometimes happen. Inventory on some refurbished models can be extremely limited. It's very possible when you were shopping...there may have only been 1 of these MacBook Air's in stock. And because you took some extra time shopping (mouse)...someone esle snapped it up.

I did the online chat with Apple and plus a little complaining I got a brand spanking new MacBook Air 13", 8GB Ram, I5 and 256GB SSD which is exactly what the refurbished one was for $100 cheaper than the Refurbished one.

That is a first for me, and made me quite happy, It is scheduled to be here on Monday...

Congratulations. I've heard lots of great individual stories where Apple has gone "above & beyond" to help someone.:) One question. Was there a reason why Apple gave you the brand new MacBook Air for $100 less than the refurbished...rather than for the same price as the refurbished?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2012) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, MBP (2018) 13" MacOS 10.15.5, iPhone XR
Nick:

No reason given, and I wasn't going to question them, as I had a good deal going and didn't want to spoil the pot. Funny thing I looked today and now they have 2 refurbished units listed for sale.

Yes funny how things work out and in this day and age it is good to see that companies still go "above & beyond", but I guess it all has to do with making the sale.

Oh just for info, I ordered the 3 set Pentalobe Screwdrivers you mentioned thru Amazon, but at a higher cost, seems that Amazon charges a significant price increase here in Canada. Probably saved money though as I am about a 100 miles away from the big city and gas isn't cheap.

Thanks Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Dxhound

Well done; and thanks for telling us.

Apple are no fools. When they imagine they might have been in the wrong or where they feel a customer has a justifiable (not necessarily legal) complaint, they do seem to come up trumps. And then you tell the world and, for Apple, that's the best and cheapest advertising on earth.

Enjoy your new "toy"

Ian

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No reason given, and I wasn't going to question them, as I had a good deal going and didn't want to spoil the pot.

I totally understand. Was just curious in case there was a reason.

Funny thing I looked today and now they have 2 refurbished units listed for sale.

That's the way it goes. The inventory in the refurbished area can be very dynamic.

Yes funny how things work out and in this day and age it is good to see that companies still go "above & beyond", but I guess it all has to do with making the sale.

Unfortunately...I don't know of too many companies that go "above & beyond" like Apple. I know that there are other companies that have good customer service...but usually not even close to what Apple does from time to time.

Oh just for info, I ordered the 3 set Pentalobe Screwdrivers you mentioned thru Amazon, but at a higher cost, seems that Amazon charges a significant price increase here in Canada. Probably saved money though as I am about a 100 miles away from the big city and gas isn't cheap.

Great that you got them. Hopefully you won't need them for a long time. I only got them because I purchased my 2015 MacBook Air used...and wanted to look inside to make sure there were no issues.

Enjoy that new computer!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Congratulations, Nick. That's some value for money, you got there! Nice work.

Hope you both enjoy the birthday.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cowbrain. I'd like to give it to her today...but I need to be patient & wait till her birthday.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.