disk image folder size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
I create an encrypted folder (pass word protect, at least) that I store my financial documents. Each January, when it is time to add the previous year's docs, I open the DMG file, I create a new folder on my desktop, copy over the folders from the DMG file, add my new folder containing the previous year's documents and then create a new disk image from a folder and encrypt it with a password. I failed to include a folder this year, so before ejecting the newly created disk image, I tired to add a new folder and was hit with the same error message that happens every year: there isn't enough free space. Is there a way to adjust the amount of free space so I can add folders, etc without having to create a new disk image each time a folder is added? A small sized document will be accepted, just not a large one.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
HI tape

I've done this so many times myself. As far as I know, you cannot alter the disk image size once created - at least I've never found a way to do this. It's tedious to have to start over, but I thinks that's the only way.

There are, of course, third party apps that are infinitely adjustable in the sense that you just keep adding or deleting files from the encrypted "vault", shall I call it. These are pay-for and some are a lot better than others. One of these is Crypt3, available through the App Store. I have no connection with the company at all, but found it helpful in the past for the very thing you are trying to do.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
thanks for the info IWT. Since this is a once-a-year thing for me, I guess I just keep on recreating a disk image

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have not tested this yet but I think it is possible to use Disk Utility to create an encrypted sparsbundle file. Time Machine uses sparsebundle files when backups are created on network devices but the options are there in Disk Utility. If I understand your problem correctly this may help.

Here are the directions for a previous version of OS X. The options discussed are still present in Sierra.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice find Sly. I would have never thought of doing it that way.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what made me think of it either. It's not something I have done before really. This might be one to demo on the Sunday chat.

Hey Charlie, In lieu of a bigger hat an ATV 4 would do nicely. It's still on my Christmas list. lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, yeah still not too late for those delayed Christmas presents. My son sent us a nice fat Apple gift card for Christmas and it's burning a hole on my desk. I might head out to our local Apple store next week and see what I can gift to myself. The last gift card he sent bought my wife a new 6s+ Pink Gold iPhone including Apple Care +.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have fun spending that gift card. If that youngster of your has more spare cash just burning a hole in his pocket I have some ideas.:D

My ATV 4 will have to be on hold a bit until we get some work done on the car.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.