Put my wife's fingerprint in iPhone recognition

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yesterday my wife needed to use my iPhone and because I have a kinda complex 6 digit password it occurred to me I could just put her thumb print in the touch ID list.
Afterwards I realised this could have added advantages especially in an emergency situation. So I put my fingerprint in hers as well.
I wondered if anyone else had considered this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Yes, for over two years now - as I look after our gadgets, I have my fingerprint registered on my wife's iPhone
I suppose it'll be useful to do the vice versa too - as you said, for emergencies.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, Rod, I've done this too. Very useful. Both iPhones (hers and mine) have each others fingerprints.

And just because we are on the subject, I have a colleague who has identical twin daughters. Despite this, their fingerprints are significantly different that they can only open their own iPhone and not their sister's. In fact, this is quite widely known, I've since found out. Sometimes identical twins can get away with it, but often they are just that bit different.

But the basic premise remains - you can have more than one person's fingerprints registered on an iPhone. Apart from the owner's, the other can be anyone of their choosing. I've never tried it, but theoretically, you could have up to 4 people?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I also did this with my wife's phone, but she will not let me put her finger print on my phone.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
ferrarr, that's odd I'm surprised it's not the other way around. ie she'll put hers on your phone but not yours on her phone, now that I can understand.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.