Converting WMF to scalable for Mac

Reaction score
Hi - and Happy New Year.....

I have a bunch - a large one - of WMF's that I want to use with Affinity Photo (for example) and despite scouring the Web, I have found nothing suitable at all. Clearly I need to convert them to another file type. But what? Here's a list of file types that Affinity supports:

File type
Adobe Illustrator (AI)
Adobe Freehand (10 and MX)
Adobe PhotoShop (PSD)
Adobe PhotoShop (PSB)
DNG
EPS
GIF
JPEG
J2K,JP2
JPEG-XR/JXR (WDP/HDP)
PDF
PNG
RAW
SVG
TGA
TIFF
WEBP
OpenEXR
Radiance HDR

My main concern is that the images will be scalable - thus Vector images - I think that I am correct....

From what I've read, EPS suggests itself. Is there a (preferably free) convertor for this?

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Mitcherooney2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can convert WMF to AI, EPS or SVG or PDF all support vectors (assuming the WMFs you have contain vector content already. WMF can contain vector and/or bitmap content).

There are a number of free convertors online but I'm afraid all of the ones I've tried they just create a bitmap version of a WMF Vector rather than maintaining the vector properties of the original content.

I use Adobe Illustrator and that works fine but cost-wise maybe a sledgehammer to crack a walnut kind of solution. Perhaps there are other free/cheaper vector app that'll do it. Maybe something like Inkscape?

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Hi mrplow

Thanks for your reply.

Eventually I found Pixillion - not free, but I wanted to have images available for use with Affinity. The WMFs were used on a Windows program and I hope to ditch that OS in the not to distant future. The images themselves were too good to lose, however. I eventually converted them to SVGs.

Aoolgies for not indicating that the issue had been resolved.

Cheers Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No problem. Thanks for posting back with a solution.

Definitely worth getting those kind of assets into a platform intendant format

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.