• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPhone & iCloud & Mac photos sync

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5s with only 16gb and I'm down to zero memory free. My iPhone and iCloud are showing the same number of pictures and appear to be syncing fine. OS X Photos which I don't use is showing more pictures than what is in iCloud. Before I screw something up on my own I'd like to archive the iPhone photos and few videos so I can just remove all the photos & videos and free up the storage. I'm guessing I can toggle Optimize iPhone storage 'on' to do this?

Here are my current settings...
iPhone Photos settings
iCloud Library = on
Optimize iPhone Storage = off
Download and Keep Originals = on
Upload Photo Stream = off
Sharing = off

OS X Photos settings
iCloud Library = off
Photo stream = off
Sharing = off

iCloud Storage = 1.5 GB Available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Easiest solution is to use Photos on your Mac as your library unless you want to upgrade (and pay more) for iCloud storage. Switch off iCloud on both devices and enable Photo Stream. When wifi is on, your photos will sync and then you can safely delete pictures from Camera Roll to free up storage on your phone. The pictures are automatically stored in All Photos in which you can create specific albums. Ensure you have a back up of your Mac to safeguard your memories. Keep PS enabled so that photos continue to be shared and clean out Camera Roll as needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.