Can I install Windows via BootCamp without Support Software Drivers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have been trying to download the Support Software Drivers for Windows from the BootCamp app for a while now but it just seems like there's something wrong. The remaining time keeps jumping back and forth and I cannot see any progress. Is there an external link where I can download it using my browser and/or download manager? And is there any way at all to skip that in the Boot Camp app process of installing Windows 10? I'm using an early 2015 13" MBP with the most recent version of Sierra.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2015 13" MacBook Pro supports the 64bit version of Windows 10. And as far as I can tell, the only way to download the support software is through the Boot Camp assistant. Searching for the Boot Camp support software brings up downloads for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 but nothing for Windows 10.

There are articles on the web that talk about installing Windows on your Mac without using Boot Camp but they seem more complex. Do some searching and maybe you can come up with a better solution. Your internet connection is probably at fault causing the support software download to be slow and intermittent.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Surprisingly, I was able to download the Support Software using Boot Camp Assistant > Action > Download Windows Support Software to my Desktop, but whenever I attempt to install Windows 10 it wants to redownload the whole thing again. It's really annoying.

I found this article: http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/

I flashed Windows 10 on a USB like in the tutorial, but when I tried partition my Mac HD I ended up with a "Framework unable to communicate with the Disk Management daemon" and an unusable 100GB partition. When I tried deleting the useless partition and extending my Macintosh HD drive, it failed. It seems as though I may have to format the whole laptop now just because of this annoying fault. I am trying to First Aid on the HD, but there is 0 progress and nothing under "Details".

EDIT: SUCCESS! I was able to repair the problems and successfully install Windows 10 using that article by simply turning off File Vault and SIP, which is not safe, I know, but it got the job done. Now I wonder if it will be possible to resize the Windows partition later on by taking some space from the Mac one? And has anyone ever tried running Windows 7 or 10 on a Mac from an External HDD?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
You could try disabling the auto-update feature in Apple Software Update tool. Also, load Task Scheduler and check that there are no Apple download tasks either or disable the tasks via the Start-up tab in Task Manager.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EDIT: SUCCESS! I was able to repair the problems and successfully install Windows 10 using that article by simply turning off File Vault and SIP, which is not safe, I know, but it got the job done. Now I wonder if it will be possible to resize the Windows partition later on by taking some space from the Mac one? And has anyone ever tried running Windows 7 or 10 on a Mac from an External HDD?

You can re-size the Windows partition by using "CampTune X" from Paragon software. As far as running Windows 10 from an external hard drive... only the enterprise edition can be run that way. To make sure, do a search from the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.