Weird Download Speed Issues

P

Pimptastic

Sorry my first post is a problem, but this one has got me baffled

Okay, here is the situation.

I have a new 20" Intel iMac.

This is connected to the interent through a netgear router (hard wired).

I am running Transmission to download torrents. The problem is, the download seems to be limited to around 20kbps.

So, i check the seeder to leecher ratio. 227 seeders, 23 leechers. That should be brilliant!

So, i go upstairs to my old PC, which is connected to the interent through the exact same router. The PC is running uTorrent and is using the same ports as i set up on the iMac. This immeadiately max's out my connection getting about 230kbps.

Ill try something else i think. i installed Parallels and and install a copy of Windows and install uTorrent. I download the same torrent, and again my download speed seems to be limited around 20kbps.

I also tried using Acquisition on the iMac...again, download speed limited to around 20kpbs. Same with Tomato Torrent and Bitorrent.

what i have deducted up to now is this:

Im pretty sure it isn't a router problem, as the PC connected on the same router can download at full speed.

It isn't the torrent client i am using, because i see the same effect across many different clients.

I can download from FTP site and via HTTP at full speed

All my ports are forwarded and the firewall is set-up correctly (i have tried disabling the firewall too, still nothing). Anything else i have missed?

Any ideas what could be the problem!?

Thanks

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Are you uploading as well? I'm pretty sure Torrent clients limit your download if you have a low upload, as to prevent leaching. Raise your upload level and see if your download speed increases.

OP
P

Pimptastic

No, that isn't the case. Your upload speed can affect your download speed, but it isn't the determining factor i.e. what happens when there are say 200 seeders and only me leeching...it wouldn't stop me downloading at full speed.

infact, i can set my not upload at all on my PC and still max ot my 2mb line.

Everything i have tried is pointing me to believe that is is some network preference in OSX....but as a convert to OSX after over 10 years of Windows use, im a little bit lost as to what to try next

Another example. i am downloading a torrent that max's out on my PC.

I open it on the iMac in transmission and i get a max of about 20kbs. At the same time i then open the torrent in something like acquistion, and the download speed in transmission drops to about 10kbps and i get about 10kbps. it seems no matter what, i cant get more that 20kbps.

If open a torrent in transmission, it downloads at 20kbps, i then add 2 more torrents, the 20kbps is spread across the 3 torrents.

Why the 20kbps limit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
do u use a staitc ip address? do u have your ports forwarded to the address you always use? In torrent preferences did u set a number of max peers to connect to? What ports did u forward? is you torrent client set to use these ports?

OP
P

Pimptastic

macAttack said:
do u use a staitc ip address? do u have your ports forwarded to the address you always use? In torrent preferences did u set a number of max peers to connect to? What ports did u forward? is you torrent client set to use these ports?

I use DHCP with a manual address which is 192.168.1.2 always

Yes, i have the ports forwarded of TCP and UDP on my router.

In Transmission, there isn't an option to set max number of peers to connect to, but it says i am connected to 57.

I am currently forwarding port 65000, but i have tried numerous different ports with no results.

My client is set to use the same ports.

I have actually just taken my iMac updatirs and plugged it into the network cable where my PC was getting 230kbps on the same torrent. This didn't do anything, the iMac still only gets 21kbps

???

Im ata loss :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
I just noticed that you seem to have the exact same problem that I have. When I download anything through http, ftp, I can get very, very high speeds(400kbps), but when I try to download anything through any torrent program, I usually max out at around 50. I have noticed that it seems to go in spikes. For example, the torrent will work up to a maximum speed, then crash slowly back down, and then back up, and so on. I used to get pretty good torrent speeds on my old computer, but since we upgraded to the newest iMac(non-intel), I can't seem to get any torrents through any torrent program to work very well.

I really hope that somebody out there can find a solution to this.
Thanks,
Matt

Pimptastic said:
I use DHCP with a manual address which is 192.168.1.2 always

Yes, i have the ports forwarded of TCP and UDP on my router.

In Transmission, there isn't an option to set max number of peers to connect to, but it says i am connected to 57.

I am currently forwarding port 65000, but i have tried numerous different ports with no results.

My client is set to use the same ports.

I have actually just taken my iMac updatirs and plugged it into the network cable where my PC was getting 230kbps on the same torrent. This didn't do anything, the iMac still only gets 21kbps

???

Im ata loss :eek:neye:

OP
P

Pimptastic

I eventually fixed my problem. I was actually being traffic managed by my ISP.

I had to turn on transport encryption in Azureus to bypass the restriction.

I don't think this will be the case for you though, as my connection speed never went over 20kbps.

Maybe worth a try though!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
What settings in Azureus did you use. i noticed on the Azureus website that it says that turning on transport encryption can limit the number of seeders that you can dl from. I really think that this might be my problem as I always had amazing dl speeds until Rogers(Canada) gave me a new setup for my high speed access, and then all of a sudden, I couldn't use torrents.
Thanks,
Matt

Pimptastic said:
I eventually fixed my problem. I was actually being traffic managed by my ISP.

I had to turn on transport encryption in Azureus to bypass the restriction.

I don't think this will be the case for you though, as my connection speed never went over 20kbps.

Maybe worth a try though!?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.