Apple TV Operations Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the update Tom. After I posted earlier today I was in a FaceTime chat with a friend who has the ATV 4. His description of the search function was not as thorough as yours. Thanks.

I'm in the process of reworking the setup of our present setup just a bit so that she can run things with one remote. I can do it rather easily but I'm working on a setup she can use easily.

If you aren't using a Harmony Remote, that's something to consider. As long as all your devices do IR, the cheap Harmony 650 is wonderfully easy to use, and highly customizable.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had one of the Harmony series remotes some time ago. It was one of the basic models. I liked it but given the limited number of buttons I wasn't able to make it as intuitive as I wanted. That wouldn't be a problem with some of the advanced models.

I am currently using a Blumoo device. It works nicely and so far I have been impressed with their support. When I first got the thing I was having trouble finding a code set that worked with our Cable set top box. I even tried some of the Motorola codes knowing that some boxes are based on that code set. I emailed their support folks late on a Friday afternoon. The initial response suggested I might not get further responses until the following Monday. Later that same Friday they sent me the name of a suggested code set that worked. A free errs later a software update included a code set for my box that worked even better.

I talked to their tech people a few weeks later to get an answer about something for a friend in Canada. While on the chat their tech guy asked what I thought of the software and long story short I ended up agreeing to be a beta tester. They've made improvements in the last few versions and the macros finally do what I need. Now I have to figure out a button layout that does what my wife wants to do. Almost got that figured out though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.