• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't make a playable DVD

Reaction score
I made a slide show in FotoMagico 5 saved as .avi burned it to DVD in Toast and it won't play. I tried different formats from mp4, .mov, .m4v, and none will launch DVD player on my Mac to play. I was, in the past having luck converting to .vob using "Any Video Converter" but that format won't work either. I trying burning from the finder and not using toast and still won't play. Please help, Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Lets clarify a few things so that we'll be better able to help.
1. Which Mac are you using? Model and OS X version. If you transferred DVD Players from a Mac which originally had a DVD drive to one that originally didn't contain a DVD The player software starts to complain.
2. Did you try letting Toast create and burn the DVD rather than using Any Video Converter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I trying burning from the finder and not using toast and still won't play
That won't work as all you are doing is burning your video file to the dvd as a data file.

In Toast, make sure that you choose "Video" along the top and then "DVD-Video" from the drop down menu on the left.

I tried different formats
Don't worry about those. Toast will accept all those that you've tried.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm running latest ElCapitan on an old Mac Pro. Yes I let convert the slide show in FotoMagico 5. And I did select Video from top Of menu running Toast 14.2 Then I selected DVD-Video and to get the window to open you need to click the button Finish then dragged the file in and did a burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
That's all good. Which type of dvds are you using? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW? Which make also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you made a good DVD with Memorex -R before? Maybe try another brand. I always use Verbatim DVD-R and have no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.