Folder structure in Mac OS

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time understanding the folder structure in the Mac OS. Maybe this is strictly related to the application, but I'll give it a shot. I'm downloading images from sites onto my computer. I am using iPhoto to maintain and organize them as that seems to be the application installed on my MBP to handle pictures.

The problem is that everytime I 'import' a picture into iPhoto, it creates a folder for EACH picture. That's just ridiculous. At this rate, if I wanted to go through my hard drive and look for a particular photo I'd have to open hundreds of folders or 'rolls' -- as this program is calling it. In addition, this program is storing my picures in the Original folder and a Data folder. They are identical. Why is this information being stored twice on my hard drive?

Is there an option I need to select or preferences I need to tailor that would alleviate this situation. I like to keep things fairly organized....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i believe you are going to have to import them all at the same time otherwise it thinks they are from different projects, 'rolls' of film, etc... try that out see if it works

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Assuming you have iPhoto 6, then yes, there is an option to turn off the use of all of these folders. Unfortunately, I'm on a Windows computer right now and can't check to see where to turn it off, but I know it's in the Preferences (iPhoto-->Preferences). This is a feature of iPhoto only, and not all programs use a weird system like this.

61262_2.gif

iPhoto uses a folder system like this to allow multiple images (aliases) in multiple albums without using too much space on the HDD. You'll probably notice a slowdown in iPhoto if you turn this feature off.

It's not a very good feature if you just want to get a picture from your Pictures folder, but if you need to get a picture it's not that hard to open iPhoto and drag/drop to the Desktop. I'd recommend using Image Capture (in your Apps folder) to import the pictures into whichever folder you want, then dragging that folder to iPhoto. Then you have the best of both worlds. :mac:

OP
V
Reaction score
The reason why I was using iPhoto was because when I right-clicked a picture, one of the drop down menu items was 'copy image to iPhoto.' I figured that was the default image program in Mac OS. What exactly does Image Capture do and how to I copy images into Image Capture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I sort of misread your post and thought your were capturing from you camera. That's where Image Capture comes into play. Keep that in mind, though.

For the internet images, the simplest way to do it would be to make a new folder on your desktop and simply drag/drop the images from Safari straight to that folder. No middleman (iPhoto), you'd have all of the images in one folder where you (I assume) want them.

OP
V
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
Well, I sort of misread your post and thought your were capturing from you camera. That's where Image Capture comes into play. Keep that in mind, though.

For the internet images, the simplest way to do it would be to make a new folder on your desktop and simply drag/drop the images from Safari straight to that folder. No middleman (iPhoto), you'd have all of the images in one folder where you (I assume) want them.

And then from there I can use iPhoto to look at them, create a slideshow, manupulate, and maintain???

OP
V
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:

You mentioned drag and drop. I can just drag the image from Safari onto my desktop and voila?! No manual saving or anything? I'm new to Mac OS so bear with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but when you import them into iPhoto it will create that weird folder system. Just save that original folder if you want them all in one place.

OP
V
Reaction score
surfwax95 said:
Yes, but when you import them into iPhoto it will create that weird folder system. Just save that original folder if you want them all in one place.

Isn't there an option in iPhoto to 'maintain' my folder structure? Instead of placing my pictures into rolls it'll create thumbnails???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You would be better getting an App like Graphic Converter to do what you are tring to do. I only use iPhoto for images downloaded from my digital camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.