Loss of graphics with Safari (and spinning balls)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you pm-r but I tried the Safe Boot Mode but it is still the same, Safari cannot call a JPEG file. Paul

I am really surprised to read this, especially considering everything apparently works well when logged in as a different user.

I'm then guessing that something is missing or damaged for your user account to work properly. But why only with jogs it seems. Strange indeed!! :\

Out of curiosity, does your Safari open and display any .jpg file you have saved on your Mac if you drag and drop it onto the Safari icon in your Dock???

- Patrick
==========

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
Thank yo ferrara. I tried clearing the Safari Cashe as you suggested but it has not solved the problem. Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thank you Slydude
1. My system won't permit me to run Onyx as it says it can include Malware. Can you recommend a truly reliable source?
2. 'open the library folder inside the user account' - I have no library folder in my user accounts (not like there used to be). There is just one library folder in the main system. (I have often wondered about this, how is it that the accounts seem to run independently). Should I therefore be removing the preference files from the main system? Paul

1. My system won't permit me to run Onyx as it says it can include Malware. Can you recommend a truly reliable source?
That warning is probably an OS X security procedure called Gatekeeper. It doesn't necessarily mean the program has or is malware. That warning also occurs if a developer has not pre-signed their software with Apple. If you got it directly from their site it is probably safe to open and run. I have it on my system currently and have not encountered any malware. Here's the link to the Onyx download page.

2. I have no library folder in my user accounts (not like there used to be).
The library folder that I mentioned is still inside your user (home) folder but it has been hidden by the OS. Apple made that change some time ago. Sorry for not including that info. You can unhide the folder by going to the Finder Go menu and choosing Go To Folder. From there enter~/Library

Temporarily disable Gatekeeper

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I missed this post when I read the thread earlier.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Yes pm-r, I tried. My Safari will display a jpeg graphic by moving it on to the Safari symbol in the dock. But Safari is still nevertheless unable to call a jpeg file! This makes it unusable as a browser. Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick I'm obviously off my game a bit today. I didn't notice that you had already responded with the info on how to "unhide" the library folder. Thanks.

@paultilling I think my system has several Safari-related preferences. I'm not sure which one, if any, affects the behavior you are seeing. It might be helpful to drag them out and replace them one at a time relaunching Safari after each try. This should give you an idea which file might be the culprit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try downloading Onyx directly from the developer's site as there dozens of wonky sites such as Softonic, CNET, MacUpdate that do include adware with their downloads. Choose you correct operating system from this link, and if you get the security Gatekeeper message, right click and choose 'Open':-

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes pm-r, I tried. My Safari will display a jpeg graphic by moving it on to the Safari symbol in the dock. But Safari is still nevertheless unable to call a jpeg file! This makes it unusable as a browser. Paul

I'm lost and not understanding what you're saying paultilling: "Safari is still nevertheless unable to call a jpeg file!"

What do you mean by "unable to call a jpeg file"????

As you just replied, it can display them, but I have no idea how Safari is supposed to call them.

Is that anything close to pig or turkey calling they apparently do in the southern US states??? ;D

And as a PS: Congrats on you 100th post!!!

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That warning also occurs if a developer has not pre-signed their software with Apple.

Translation = paid apple a good hunk of cash!!!

OP
P
Reaction score
pm-r I mean by 'calling a jpeg file' that when Safari tries to display a jpeg graphic it fails and just gives a blanc. On the other hand, if I drag a jpeg file on to the Safari icon then that is different, it can then display it. Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you drop a jpeg on the Safari icon, the jpeg is already on your Mac, that is why it is able to display the image. There is a setting in tour Safari preferences, that is stopping Safari from showing web images. Can you drag one of the jpeg images, that are not displaying, to your desktop? Can you then see the jpeg, if you double click it to open it?

As been previously said, you should try to remove your Safari plist file located in your "User>Library>Preferences" folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean by 'calling a jpeg file' that when Safari tries to display a jpeg graphic it fails and just gives a blanc.

O.K., but I'm not sure how you can tell that they're actually jpgs or whatever.

Is there any chance you have the "Developers" option in your menu enabled if it's still available with El Cap'n, and if so, make sure "Disable Images" isn't checked.

Or check any possible installed/enabled Safari Extensions that could stop/block images from showing.

Do you not get any images showing at web sites or are only just jpgs blocked or not displayed???

- Patrick
==========

OP
P
Reaction score
THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE! You chaps have been really helpful. It was a plist that cured the problem, I had missed it before when searching through the huge list.
I suppose it was obvious when it only affected the one user. I've learn't some useful things in the process, I'm really, really grateful.
What a relief! A happy New Year to you all!
Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got that sorted out Paul.

Sorry about the problem finding that file. I meant to mention that when I searched the Preferences folder I used the search function in the top right corner of the folder window. That brings up only files containing the word Safari in the filename.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's strange Slydude, I used that too but somehow missed the plist. You were right all along though. Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that worked out for you.

It would be easy to miss it. I think I found six different prefs files that might be relevant. Might be a function of my account though. I think I've used my current account at least since Snow Leopard and maybe before that with very little in the way of cleanup along the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.