What is an iMac Desktop Like this worth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I've got an 24" iMac Desktop that is in perfect condition that never got much use on it because I've always had laptops too. It works perfectly on OS 10.11.6., which is the latest operating system. WHAT'S IT WORTH? I don't use it, but I don't want to overcharge someone for it, but someone should be using it! I thought I'd ask before posting it for sale.

Here's the info. on it! Thanx!

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 1.53.47 AM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've got an 24" iMac Desktop that is in perfect condition that never got much use.

You can get an estimate at any or all of these sites:

http://www.mac2sell.net/

http://www.sellyourmac.com/sell-your-used-mac.html

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php
Will give you a base price but requires your Mac's serial number.

Of course, you could just go to your local Craig's List site and see what similar Macs are selling for:

http://www.craigslist.com
Use the far right column to go to your local Craig's List site.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Couple hundred. Check ebay for similar models.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not forgetting that there are probably some local agencies/groups that will provide a tax receipt you can probably use and donate the iMac to someone or some needing agency.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe $100 for that model. Coming up for its 9th birthday, very limited memory capacity.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$100 to $200? Well I'm insulted! (Not Really)

I'll just keep it or give it a way for that price. It will still do anything having the with the latest OS on it & a 24" screen! It's just slower when working with "burning video times", etc.! For most things it does just fine!

You guys would buy my car if he got a few years older! That's age prejudice!

•Signature:Avatar.png

•Obey me!.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Base price for 2016 Mustang is a tad more than for 2008 iMac, but would offer 15 grand of you ship it Down Under. It is second hand Mr. D. With a head like that surprised you don't have a sun roof, or a 'head' roof. Keep away from those entertainment park mirrors. This just goes to prove what I say every time I look in the mirror 'They don't make 'em like they used to!'

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll just keep it or give it a way for that price. It will still do anything having the with the latest OS on it & a 24" screen! It's just slower when working with "burning video times", etc.! For most things it does just fine!

Yes...many times when folks have an older computer...ask what it's worth...and then find out how much...they have a similar reaction. The $1500-$2000 computer purchased 8-9 years ago..just isn't worth that much. Been this way with personal computers since they went mainstream almost 40 years ago. They depreciate big time!

Also FYI...this 24" iMac officially cannot run the latest OS. The latest OS is Sierra (10.12). Max OS for this computer is 10.11 (El Capitan). Which isn't really all that bad.:) But officially this iMac is not capable of running the latest Mac OS.

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's ridiculous that computer speed is such an issue! The only thing that bothers me about using the old iMac is the startup time, or if you are doing something like processing a movie. For these prices I'll keep it & maybe give it away to someone that has the "good sense" to see its value. My wife uses it & doesn't see any difference except she says, "It takes a long time to startup!" I may go back to OS 10.8.6 & eliminate the long startup plus being able to use a lot of old apps I love.... that have not been improved for the needs of average user, in my judgment. I have two new 2016 Fords that are keyless! Big whoopee! Was turning an ignition key that big a problem??? Now I have to carry a new lumpy electronic key instead of the three small keys I used to carry! Big whoop! It's good for women that can't find their keys in a disorganized purse.... but for me
"Big Whoop"!

I don't know the right thread for this.... BUT can someone give me a direct link the Pages Update... PLEASE! The Apple Site confuses me! Search for anything simple such as "Pages Update" & you get reams of blah blah blah instead of the link to the updater! I'm sure I the one confused, BUT I can find things easily on any website BUT Apple's Website. It's like markets that put the same items in 4 places to make you walk the whole market TO BUY MORE! In my local market there are 4 different sites to find Hershey's chocolate syrup... BUT only one has the low calorie syrup I use! Just like Apple.... why make it simple!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my local market there are 4 different sites to find Hershey's chocolate syrup... BUT only one has the low calorie syrup I use! Just like Apple.... why make it simple!!

Apparently, as I was told by an acquaintance in retail marketing sales, it's a standard procedure and known as "cross marketing" or variations of the same thing etc.

As for the "Pages Update", I wouldn't worry about apple's strange version update methods, and the latest I looked at like all other Pages Updates was worse than their last and along with the slow Sierra boot times and other problems or lack of features with my 2011 27" iMac just added to my decision to give up on it and go back to mainly just running Mavericks.

Anyway, Happy New Year for 2017 and just use what works for you with your Mac!!!

PS: My wife is happy using our 24" iMac7,1 with SL 10.6.8 and it boots fast and runs stuff reasonably well, especially for her limited use.

- Patrick
==========

Reaction score
I don't know the right thread for this.... BUT can someone give me a direct link the Pages Update... PLEASE!

You can find older Pages updaters here:
https://support.apple.com/downloads/pages

More recent Pages updates are only available through the App Store. (There is an icon for the App Store in your Mac's dock.) Open the App Store app and click on Updates towards the right in the window bar at the top of the screen.

However, if you are looking for a Pages '09 to Pages 5.x updater/upgrade, there is no such thing. (Pages was completely rewritten with version 5, to make it compatible with the iOS version of Pages and to make it a 64-bit application. Other than the name, it is a completely new application.) Pages 5.x and later has only ever been available for free when you get it with a new Macintosh. Pages is currently all the way up to version 6.x.

You can purchase a copy of Pages 6.0.5 for $20 from:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id409201541

Note that while Pages 5.x and later will open Pages '09 documents, that Pages '09 can't open Pages 5.x and later documents. So, once you open a Pages '09 document in Pages 5.x and later and save it (instead of doing a Save As or Duplicate), it can never again be opened and worked on in Pages '09.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7391947?start=0&tstart=0

Lots of folks have stuck with using Pages '09, which still works perfectly with the Mac OS all the way up to and including El Capitan. (I haven't heard how well it works under Sierra.)
http://roaringapps.com/app/pages-09

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of folks have stuck with using Pages '09, which still works perfectly with the Mac OS all the way up to and including El Capitan. (I haven't heard how well it works under Sierra.)
http://roaringapps.com/app/pages-09

That's a bit strange that they give a completely different rating if one just goes to their site and does a Search on 'Pages'.

But still "not enough data' for Sierra stays the same.

http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

EDIT:
Screen shots:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 9.57.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 9.58.07 AM.png

- Patrick
==========

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would suspect that Pages 09 will work with Sierra but with limited capability. The point being is that all new Macs sold since 2012 come with a free copy of the iWork apps (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) so most folks will use those instead. The problem, however, is like Randy stated... Apple has dumbed down Pages to where it no longer performs as it once did.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem, however, is like Randy stated... Apple has dumbed down Pages to where it no longer performs as it once did.

I'm sure Apple would call it "optimized", "simplified", "reengineered"...etc!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
The problem, however, is like Randy stated... Apple has dumbed down Pages to where it no longer performs as it once did.

I don't think that Apple purposely "dumbed down" Pages 5.x. I think that they realized that their i-devices were tremendously popular and that they needed Pages on their i-devices to be compatible with their Macs as soon as possible. That's what users really wanted. Unfortunately that required an entire re-write of Pages for the Mac, which isn't something that could be done overnight. So they rushed out Pages 5.x in a form that was usable, but not nearly as full-featured as Pages '09.

It's been a while since the re-write of Pages. They are up to Pages 6.0.5 now. I'm not a Pages user (I use Microsoft Word). Is there anyone here who is using the very latest version of Pages? Is it now as full-featured as it used to be...or at least close?

If anyone is unhappy with Pages, there are a bunch of really excellent word processors for the Macintosh. If anyone wants a suggestion for a Pages replacement, just let us know what your needs are and we can suggest several to try out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been a while since the re-write of Pages. They are up to Pages 6.0.5 now. I'm not a Pages user (I use Microsoft Word). Is there anyone here who is using the very latest version of Pages? Is it now as full-featured as it used to be...or at least close?

I have 6.0.5 and use it once in awhile instead of Word. It still is not full featured as Pages 09 or for that matter Pages 08. But like you, I use Word mostly because I have to stay compatible with other folks that I do business with.

Reaction score
...But like you, I use Word mostly because I have to stay compatible with other folks that I do business with.

I don't use Microsoft Word only because I want to be compatible with colleagues. I use it because I genuinely enjoy using it. Word saves me a ton of time and effort every single day. It seems to me that the folks who wrote Word really understood my needs as someone who must get out a lot of documents quickly and continually.

I'm often asked what was the best move that I ever made to advance my career. My answer is always "I took a course on how to make use of all of Word's advanced features."

Lots of Mac users like to hate Microsoft, or they hate Word because they find it frustrating (which it definitely is if you don't know how to use it), but there is a lot to be said for using the best tool for the job, and using its full capabilities. It's a huge advantage in the business world.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lots of Mac users like to hate Microsoft, or they hate Word because they find it frustrating (which it definitely is if you don't know how to use it), but there is a lot to be said for using the best tool for the job, and using its full capabilities. It's a huge advantage in the business world.

Lots of Mac users seem to forget that Word and Excel were first developed by Microsoft for the Mac. I too like Word (after having used it for years both in Windows and now on the Mac) for its ease of use. However, the fact that it's compatible with just about everyone I do business with is an advantage.

I recently received a DVD with Word documents written with Windows Word 97 and had no difficulty opening them with my copy of Mac Word 2011. Formatting was a bit quirky but the documents were very useable.

Reaction score
Formatting was a bit quirky but the documents were very useable.

Microsoft has gone out of their way to make sure that Word documents are perfectly cross-platform. However, there is still something of an art to making that a reality. Many users don't realize that the reason that Word comes with a ton of fonts isn't to be nice, but because those fonts are standardized and have the same metrics between Word versions and platforms. Yet lots of Word users still chose to use fonts other than those that came with Word.

Folks in my user group often complain that their documents don't display perfectly when sent to others. And no matter how many times I've pointed it out, they still sound surprised when I tell them that there is a compatibility wizard in Word and that they should use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.