Upgrading older iMacs

Reaction score
I see quite a few Rev E logic boards on Ebay.. I have a Rev D iMac.. Can I buy one of those boards and swap it in?

B

Badger

The internal designs of the two iMac models are completely different. If you are looking to boost your 333 mhz you could do a CPU upgrade. Sonnet has faster G3 CPUs with firewire that are plug-and-play swaps. I had a 466 mhz G4 CPU in my rev D.

OP
U
Reaction score
Badger said:
The internal designs of the two iMac models are completely different. If you are looking to boost your 333 mhz you could do a CPU upgrade. Sonnet has faster G3 CPUs with firewire that are plug-and-play swaps. I had a 466 mhz G4 CPU in my rev D.
Actually, it's a 350.. The only CPU upgrades I saw involved mailing off the logic board to have a new CPU soldered on. And it didn't say anything about getting firewire out of the deal. I saw the 350 and the 400 board on Ebay, they look almost identical to me, definitely not "completely different"...

B

Badger

The Rev D is the 333 mhz tray-loading CD model, the 350 was the entry level model for the slot-loading models. Since we've clarified the models involved I'll leave this for others to respond to your original question.

OP
U
Reaction score
Ahh, ok.. So to be more clear.. I have a blueberry slot loading iMac.. Can I put the logic board from an Indigo slot loading iMac into mine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.