Little Snitch 3 - Protects Outgoing Traffic - Worth Owning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - just received the January issue of Mac|Life in the Zinio app on my iPad - there was an article on Mac security and the app below, i.e. Little Snitch 3 was highly recommended - now the firewalls, whether as part of your router and/or activated in macOS protect 'incoming' internet traffic, but there is no monitoring of 'outgoing' information from your computers, as far as I know - SO, anyone using this app? Any comments? A $35 purchase for a 'single license' allowing use on multiple computers - thanks for your thoughts. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 9.44.32 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Dave:

I used the app for a while (older version that was free) and soon removed it because of all the nags. Unless the newer and pay for version is any different, you'll be responding to its notices often enough to want to turn everything off. I would recommend that you download the free trial and use it for several days or so to see if you can live with it. Maybe with the newer version they offer a way to filter out some of the notifications it gives. Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like chscag I used it for a little while, about one week, and found Network problems and those constant reminders more than enough to uninstall it. This current version may be better. This is what others said about it, so it gives you something to look out for Dave if you get problems:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2741789?start=0&tstart=0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
+1 for what chscag said. I tried it about 6 years ago, too many notifications.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dave,

I too used the app in version 2.

Having all these notifications, like those who posted above, was bad enough; but what was worse, in many instances I had no idea what Little Snitch was referring to. It wasn't a case of "do you mind iTunes/Safari/Photos sending data", more "xyz/12.L" wants to communicate with server - Allow or Disallow".

Time wasting research revealed that "xyz/12.L" was a perfectly legitimate background daemon in OS which was doing its job.

I gave up, in ignorance.

But many swear by it - and two or three years ago, there was a nasty Mac intrusion (forget the name) which used a vulnerability to access the Mac OS; but if it (the intrusion) detected Little Snitch, it abandoned the attempt. Colleagues here may recall the instance and name better than I.

My thinking is that it's a class act, but for those with special knowledge and much patience.

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys for your helpful and seemingly 'unamimous' comments! ;)

On their website, I scanned the numerous pages of 'net traffic' checked and felt that I would be BOMBARDED w/ constant pop-up windows, so not even going to do a trail of the app - believe that when I was on Windows PCs, I had such a program which was a true PITA for the reasons mentioned; plus, I can use the $35 elsewhere. Dave

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It wasn't a case of "do you mind iTunes/Safari/Photos sending data", more "xyz/12.L" wants to communicate with server - Allow or Disallow".

Time wasting research revealed that "xyz/12.L" was a perfectly legitimate background daemon in OS which was doing its job.
This is the biggest problem with LS - it unnecessarily flags everything and doesn't differentiate between built in functionality and "added on" functionality (stuff communicating with the outside world that isn't built in). I get that it's not designed to differentiate but that makes it annoying.

I'm inclined, thus, to say that it's completely unnecessary but I'm sure there are use cases (if there are, I imagine that you'd know what you needed LS for). Dave, I'd probably say then that unless you have a specific need for it, you can steer clear.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the biggest problem with LS - it unnecessarily flags ............

I'm inclined, thus, to say that it's completely unnecessary but I'm sure there are use cases (if there are, I imagine that you'd know what you needed LS for). Dave, I'd probably say then that unless you have a specific need for it, you can steer clear.

Thanks - will take all's advice and stay away from the app - no clear need from me, just a recent review suggestion - Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well All - I thought this thread had ended, but just received my January 2017 issue of Macworld and read this review of Radio Silence 2 (screen captures below) - yet another 'outgoing firewall' that seems a LOT less intrusive than Little Snitch 3 and also much cheaper @ $9 - SO, anyone w/ experience in using this app? Thanks, as usual - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 6.58.24 PM.png . Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 6.58.02 PM.png

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I´m using it since years (v.1) great tool. I really recommend it to everyone on mac.

Hi Janintosh - hello - not sure if you read the previous comments on Little Snitch but many complained about constant interruptions and many annoying decisions to make - is Radio Silence less intrusive? Thanks - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dave:

Member Janintosh was banned for spamming.

I have never used "Radio Silence" but did notice one thing that Macworld pointed out in their "Cons": And that is not being able to temporarily turn off blocked applications. That might be an inconvenience in the event that you need to allow a certain app to have calling out permissions. Generally, apps that block outgoing traffic - "Little Snitch", "Radio Silence" - can be intrusive and annoying. And it appears the trial period for "Radio Silence" is rather short and might not be long enough to get a feel for its usefulness.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave:

Member Janintosh was banned for spamming.

I have never used "Radio Silence" but did notice one thing that Macworld pointed out in their "Cons": And that is not being able to temporarily turn off blocked applications. That might be an inconvenience in the event that you need to allow a certain app to have calling out permissions. Generally, apps that block outgoing traffic - "Little Snitch", "Radio Silence" - can be intrusive and annoying. And it appears the trial period for "Radio Silence" is rather short and might not be long enough to get a feel for its usefulness.

Hi Chscag - I seem to have a knack at responding to newbies who get banned immediately for one reason or another - :Oops:

Concerning Radio Silence, not sure 'how interested' I am but mentioning the review seemed appropriate for this thread - maybe someone else will respond w/ some experience w/ the app? Thanks for the information above - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.