• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro X Question

Reaction score
Hey Guys

1.Recently got Final Cut Pro X. Still learning but enjoying so far.

I feel like at the bottom of my screen I should have a toggle type twits to zoom in or zoom out of my project. There is nothing there however. I have been doing some youtube tutorials and it appears in all the videos I see online. I feel fairly confident I just have something checked(or unchecked) that I shouldn't. Does anyone know how I get it to reappear? I can use hot keys to zoom in on my project but would like that toggle switch can anyone help.

(Side note when say zoom I am referring to the ability to view an entire project in your timeline and than zooming in to see specific minutes/seconds)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
If you are on FCPX 10.3 or later the previous timeline icon to zoom in/out has been moved to beneath the filmstrip icon at the upper right of the timeline. There are several ways to zoom in/out and navigate the FCPX timeline:

- Zoom in/out via keyboard: CMD + or CMD - (timeline must have focus, so you might need to first do CMD+2 to put focus on timeline)
- Slide timeline left/right: on Magic Mouse, just stroke your finger left/right or drag slider at bottom left/right
- Fit timeline to screen: SHFT+Z
- Engage zoom mode with Z key, then click on timeline. Press A to return to normal "select" mode.
- Zoom out after zooming in with above method: OPT+click on timeline
- Zoom to specific region of timeline: momentarily press and hold Z key while drawing box on timeline with mouse
- If using Magic Trackpad, you can use pinch-to-zoom and other gestures to zoom in/out and slide timeline left/right

For more info see "Final Cut Pro X: Zoom and Scroll the Timeline": https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12555?locale=en_US

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.