jpegs to text?

Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
Mac mid-2011, 27 inch
OS 10.11.6
HP Officejet PrO 8610

Hello All:
i downloaded a free-domain magazine from 1932 in ePub format. It came out horrible. Tons of characters and such replacing text, formatting was haywire, etc. I attempted to edit the epub using Sigil. Very time consuming.

I tried a zipped format and when I unzipped it, it created a folder of all jpegs. Each jpeg was one page and the quality, although scanned, had been done with much forethought. All was good, or so I thought. I had attempted to use Pages and load each jpeg on a separate page and then save as an pub. But I have to resize each jpeg and there are 137 of them..

Now, I want to create an ePub as text (html) out of this. Can I take the jpg files from my drive and change them to text in some manner? I don't think the OCR function on our printer works on electronic files, although there are some card slots so maybe it can work. I can with a *lot* of work, create a blank pub and place and resize each and every jpeg into a page, and create hmm files in Sigil for each chapter.

BG (Brooklynguy)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
You would need to first put all of the JPGs into a single document, in order, and then run it through OCR software to convert everything to text. And, then you would have to proof it and format it. It would probably be quite a bit of work.

Alternatively, you could just stick with importing the images into a document writer (like Pages) and placing one per page.

A third option would be to get an image to PDF program. I used to do this sort of thing all the time on my phone with Photo to PDF, PDF Photos, or withframe for my travel expenses.

Basically, you select a format option (one image per page), select all of the photos to include, then save the PDF. Pretty simple, really.

OP
Brooklynguy
Reaction score
Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in VT
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Mid-2011 27”: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) MacOS 12.2.1: iPad Pro (12.9”) (4th Gen) iPadOS 15.
You would need to first put all of the JPGs into a single document, in order, and then run it through OCR software to convert everything to text. And, then you would have to proof it and format it. It would probably be quite a bit of work.

Alternatively, you could just stick with importing the images into a document writer (like Pages) and placing one per page.

A third option would be to get an image to PDF program. I used to do this sort of thing all the time on my phone with Photo to PDF, PDF Photos, or withframe for my travel expenses.

Basically, you select a format option (one image per page), select all of the photos to include, then save the PDF. Pretty simple, really.

Ember: As for your second thought, "…importing the images into a document writer (like Pages) and placing one per page.", I am thinking that I might be able to resize them en masse with Preview before I put them into a Pages document. I'll give that a shot and if successful, return here to close out this thread, else to let you know the outcome, and that I tried the other options you mentioned.

BG

P.S. Enjoy the holidays

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
If you have an iOS device, it's actually easier to do this with one of the free apps since all of the resizing is handled by the app.

Definitely let us know how you make out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.