What's the difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Ok, I'm sure that this topic must have been brought up about a million times by now but I really what an expert opinion before I commit to anything.

Here's my situation. I'm a 19 year old student so I have VERY little money at all. Last year the government were kind enough to buy me a computer of my choice because I'm dyslexic and can't spell for ****. I bought with my grant a top spec 15" PowerBook. It's got 2gb ram, 100gb HDD at 72,000 rpm, superdrive, the works basically.

This year the MacBook came out and I recon that I could probably do a straight swap on eBay for my top end PowerBook for a Middlish MacBook. Selling mine and then buying a MacBook.

But, is this worth it? How do the 2 different models compare with each other in terms of power and speed? It's going to be quite a hassle for me and I love my computer.

Another question is, can I take a stick of 1gb ram out of my PowerBook and stick it straight into a MacBook no problem. This will give me at least 1.5gb of Ram on the MacBook but will obviously reduce my selling power. I would quite like to do this as I have Apple Ram (not 3rd party) and might quite like to keep it.

Can you run Windows XP on a MacBook. I need to run autocad for next years uni course. If you can run a Windows application and XP on a MacBook then I may be more up for the switch. Front row is also quite tempting but does the MacBook have a remote?

What do I do? HELP!!

Cheers for your time,

Andrew

J

Jon

I am currently on the Windows XP part of my MBP partition. Matter of factly after I installed Windows I have not gone back to use the OS X partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
If you need the extra speed then go ahead and make the switch if you want. If you don't need the extra speed and what not, then just keep the PowerBook.

D

dbouwer

Hi

If you need the speed then it's a good upgrade as said above...

It can run windows, using bootcamp.

The memory won't work because the macbooks bus speed and memory speed is higher.

I would suggest holding onto your powerbook untill you can sell it and have the ekstra money to buy the 2.0ghz with 1gig ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Don't fix whats not broken. keep your powerbook as long as you can unless you absolutely need to switch to a MBP in order to boot up in xp so you can use autocad, but there are mac versions of cad and whatnot

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
hojkoff_101 said:
I bought with my grant a top spec 15" PowerBook. It's got 2gb ram, 100gb HDD at 72,000 rpm.

I have got to find me one of those 72,000rpm Hard drives. :) The boot up and load times must be awesome.

Reaction score
techster82 said:
I have got to find me one of those 72,000rpm Hard drives. :) The boot up and load times must be awesome.

72,000 RPM, your right the load times must be awesome! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Kind of off topic, but I've always wondered...

Does being dyslexic suck?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The main reason I could see for you getting the MBP now is your need for Autocad. There are other CAD applications, but if you MUST use Autocad for your schooling then the MBP with a small Windows install would solve your problem. Otherwise since you do not have a lot of $$$ I would just say stick with the 15" PB. The 15" PB is a very nice laptop.

M

MJGUK

DCraver said:

Rofl!
Nope :)
I'm 'borderline' dyslexic, so I've never really struggled greatly with it.
But that said, I do know a fair amount about it and from any such personal experience I can conclusively say: No.

In fact quite a few of the world's most successful entrepreneurs, such as Sir Richard Branson, are dyslexic and I'm pretty sure he doesn't think it 'Sucks'. That's just one example, but point being we all have our difficulties and whilst I'm not saying it doesn't cause any problems at all, as long as the person recognizes those issues and attempts to confront them, I don't see it being an issue at all.

In fact, being dyslexic can actually benefit you in quite a few ways, one of which being that many dyslexic individuals whilst not being great on paper, can often shine verbally, have very high EQs and PQs.

So nope, it's not so bad :)

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
DCraver said:

I'd say very much so. I'm border line too but I still hate it. I've managed to work with it but it's still not to great. Everything needs to go through a spell checker (I know that wrong but I can't be assed)

I think that I'm going to go MacBook and try to make up the odds. I really do need autoCad. I cant really use Mac alternatives (again, I know) as I need to be able to get help of other students and I won't be able to do that if I have another program.

So, PowerBook G4 anyone? I'm thinking £1350ono but that might be a bit steep. It is kitted and theres not a scratch anywhere!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PowerBook-G4-...8801826093QQcategoryZ4606QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

J

jacostilllives

Jon said:
I am currently on the Windows XP part of my MBP partition. Matter of factly after I installed Windows I have not gone back to use the OS X partition.

why god....why!!! :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.