Device not available for 2FA...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I am not certain, if this is the right sub-forum, moderators, please move it if not...

With the pending update for the iPhone 6s to iOS 10.2, I've been considering the 2FA for iCloud. This is mainly due to the experiences with this update, posted in this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/ios-and-apps/338389-ios-10-2-and-2-factor-authentication-beware.html

The "iCloud/Security" settings, viewed on MacBook Pro (macOS 10.12.1), shows the 2FA as off as it should be. Under "iCloud/Devices", it shows both the Macbook and iPhone 6s (currently iOS 10.1.1), both devices state:

"This device cannot be used to receive Apple ID verification codes."

The question is, how can I enable 2FA, if Apple devices cannot receive verification codes? What needs to be done to enable the iPhone receiving verification codes?

And yes, I did read about the advantures of enabling 2FA here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/313...stof_html#tk.MW_nlt_mw_bestof_html_2016-10-17

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Please go onto your iPhone
- Go to Settings > iCloud > tap your Apple ID.
- Tap Password & Security.
- Tap Turn on Two-Factor Authentication.

Does it allow you to enable 2FA from here?

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Thanks mr...

The chances are it would and/or give me an error message. I am kind of hesitant trying it, prior to showing that the devices can receive verification codes.

The only related discussion on this subject I've found is at Apple's website:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7255762?start=0&tstart=0

The difference is that both my iMessages and Facetime works just fine.

The solution is rather simple, reset Keychain code. In my case, it would mean enabling Keychain since it is not turned on. It's not my intent to store apps and website passwords on Apple servers, so, that's not an option for me.

I find it strange that none of the 2FA documents mentions the requirement for enabling Keychain, at least that's the case in the referenced link it seems. Oh well, maybe updating the iOS to 10.2 will not enable 2FA by default...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm a little confused by your response I'm afraid.

But I can tell you that you have to turn 2FA on on the device before it's considered secure enough to receive verification codes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.