• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Old digital cam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
I have just found my old hand held Sony digital camcorder from around 2003. Can't find any of the leads etc. I have a few of those small cassettes that it took and would like to transfer the stuff to my Mac. Any idea of the type of leads I need and I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to load onto my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try to find the model specifications or user manual online; cable/connection should be included. Will probably be USB for the Mac end.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
Good idea lol why didn't I think of that , thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If those "small cassettes" are miniDV tapes, then you will need a Firewire cable to transfer the video. USB will not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.