Safari vs. Firefox

Reaction score
There was a thread similar, including more browsers, but I have it narrowed to these 2.
Especially with the new OSX updates, which one is faster / all around better in MOST cases with you guys?

I don't have any extensive experience with FF for Mac, as I've used Safari all my Mac-life.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Shiira is the fastest browser in my Apps folder. Unfortunately, it doesn't have 3rd party support like Safari. So I end up using Safari a lot more than Shiira, Firefox, and Camino.

So, Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
intel firefox flies (assuming you have an intel mac)
Safari is very solid now (and fast) after the new java update last week.

I am using safari now more than firefox.

My order: Safari, Shiira, Firefox, Camino, Opera....

Just my 2 cents

C

caveatipss

About Safari:

1. Does it support tabbed browsing?
2. Have people written lots of plug-ins, as they have for Firefox?

Thanks!

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
About Safari:

1. Does it support tabbed browsing?
2. Have people written lots of plug-ins, as they have for Firefox?

Thanks!

1. Safari does support tabbed browsing--just make sure you turn the option on in Safar to use it.

2. I do not believe many plug-ins have been written for Safari as it is not an open source program. You will find more plug-ins written by different users/companies for FireFox than you will Safari.

J

jacostilllives

bleh plug ins...i dont really use them that much anyway. I find that safari is faster than firefox and generally uses less ram...though they both can use quite a bit. yes there is tabbed browsing.

Jaco

Reaction score
If you want a little more speed with Firefox, you can request a processor-optimized
build from the unofficial builders at mozillazine.org. Or you can build your own. I'm
getting ready to build a G5-optimized build with compiler and code optimizations for
more speed than the official build.

I was going to do Altivec optimizations until Apple decided to ditch PowerPC though I
have some of the code written. Too much stuff to do on Windows first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
i like firefox because of the flashblocker extension, and i can also ctrl click to get rid of boobie ads on torrent sites, my wife does the same only with myspace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out Safari Stand. Does all that and more for Safari. It's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Yes it sure does.

Reaction score
I was a FF user in XP. I really love Safari - especially the Bookmark Bar at the top. It's a great feature. It lacks the plug-ins that FF offers, but most of those plug-ins can be installed as a widget on the dashboard - like the weather plug-in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I still maintain that Camino's better than Safari in every way but looks and RSS support. The rendering engine is better, and it's noticeably faster on the pages I visit (NO placebo effect; timeable without a watch). And Firefox is great, but just can't use it because of its lack of integration. If you're seriously considering between Camino and Firefox, you should definitely check out Camino. Best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, Camino is great. Definitely a viable alternative to Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I used to use Camino a lot since Safari wasn't the most stable browser around but in the last month or so I have switched back since I found that on my machine Camino was much slower at rendering, that plus Safari is much more stable now that it used to be.

I suppose I notice the speed difference more due to lack of memory.

Reaction score
Shiira is way better than Safari, themes, movable tool-bar and buttons, no contest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Firefox + AdBlock Plus reigns supreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I have just got my iMac G3 running with OS X Panther yesterday and am in the process of finding equivilent programs.

I'm still a bit unsure on the web browser, so I thought I'd post here instead of creating a new topic.

I use FireFox on my XP laptop with plugins like iTunes control, auto-refresh every so many seconds, open all selected links in new tabs, etc.

What would people reccomend for me which has similar plugins? I've only got a G3 400MHz (with 640mb RAM), and I would like something that runs fairly fast and I can import my Windows Firefox bookmarks.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I switch back and forth from Camino to Safari.

If you want plugin nirvana, Firefox is the way to go, but I don't like it on Mac. I know it's superficial, but the buttons and text widgits look like windows because of XUL which I can't stand.

Camino keeps the great Gecko rendering engine but it doesn't have plugins nor does it have inline spellcheck or the ability to handle RSS feeds. I don't need Camino to be able to subscribe and read feeds, just tell me they are there so I can click the button (as in Safari's blue RSS button in the address bar) and hand the feed of to my reader of choice (NNW)

I like the Mozilla team's work, and Camino will eventually resolve my issues (marked for 1.1) and also Firefox will eventually be more Mac-ish. Safari has the ultimate in Mac looks and integration. Camino is what balances the line between Safari and Firefox for me.

BTW wicker_man, Camino says it requires 50MB of disk and 10.2 or better with 128MB RAM, so it should work for your G3. Maybe give that a try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I just dowloaded Shiira, but I can't fiqure out how to import my bookmarks from Camino. There is an export option, but no import.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.