Are there any processor accelerator upgrades for Macintosh Performa 5200CD?

s0s

Reaction score
Hi, I got a Sonnet Crescendo for my Power Mac 7200/90 years ago, so I've been looking for a Sonnet processor upgrade for my Macintosh Performa 5200CD. It's a little difficult, since Sonnet doesn't make accelerator cards anymore. But I've seen plenty of sites talking about them. This is the most detailed site I've seen, though, for Sonnet processor accelerators: http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/sonnettech/

But the page is confusing, because it doesn't show what computers they're for. So I clicked through many of them until I found a group that most closely resembles the 5200CD, which I think is the Sonnet Tech: Crescendo (L2) section. However, the closest Mac I could find within that section that they supposedly work on is the Power Macintosh 5500, which I found by clicking on Crescendo G3/L2 225-240/512k.

It's not the same model number as the 5200CD, but it's the closest I could find. Will this work on the 5200CD, and if not, do any processor accelerator cards exist for it? I want to upgrade it the very most I possibly can.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wow! I had a 5200CD I would think about 1993 or so and did not think the accelerator card was anywhere near compatible to the first G3 PowerMacs. The best advice is to move on into this century and the 5500 is completely different to the 5200. I had a Black one of those known as the 'Directors Special' which had TV built in. Please whatever you do don't take either online.

At the time the cards were the centre of attention for MUGs with special demonstrations by members who had them installed.

OP
S

s0s

Reaction score
Wow! I had a 5200CD I would think about 1993 or so and did not think the accelerator card was anywhere near compatible to the first G3 PowerMacs. The best advice is to move on into this century and the 5500 is completely different to the 5200. I had a Black one of those known as the 'Directors Special' which had TV built in. Please whatever you do don't take either online.

At the time the cards were the centre of attention for MUGs with special demonstrations by members who had them installed.

I just want to upgrade it for fun. I wasn't going to use it as my main computer lol. Here's the computer I pretty much have to use to use this website (since even Classilla on my Quicksilver Mac OS 9.2.1 barely works for this site :( ): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/s0s/saved/89xLrH

Although I use linux mint on that gaming computer for my everyday use.

I just like to improve my beloved old Macs as much as possible :)

Why do you suggest not getting them online?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The software on those computers was fine for its day but doesn't support many of the current web technologies. I suspect Harry is referring to the fact that the security features haven't been updated to address modern security concerns on the web. Just as an example, Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6), is newer than any OS your machines can run and it no longer gets security updates either so I know yours won't.

OP
S

s0s

Reaction score
That's true, but I don't do anything sensitive on them. I don't have any important information on them that could be problematic. Just want to upgrade them the most I can :) I love Classic Mac OS :D I do all my important stuff on my custom-built PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The upgrades on the 5200 were never that successful. It was a very weak computer that sold mainly to schools etc at a budget price. You don't say where you are in your avatar but a larger metropolitan centre may have a MUG and some dealers specialued in that sort of stuff. If ever you need trouble shooting this link may help and it is for 5200 Performa and the similar 6200 desktop models. A sort of an early Apple Hardware Test unit. Also I am sure EveryMac.com would have full specs and XLR8yourmac.com may well have articles on this old classic machine.,

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl.../English-North_American/Macintosh/System/CPU_ Specific_Updates/52xx-53xx-62xx-63xx/5xxx-6xxx_Tester1.0.img.bin.

Last edited:
OP
S

s0s

Reaction score
Aweome! Thank you. Yes, it is very slow, but I'm mainly just going to use it for Clarisworks, just for nostalgia lol. [Edit: I live in southeast Iowa.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My post said 'compatible' when I thought I said 'comparable'. You are right the computer, even withthe Sonnet card, is like wading through molasses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.