• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Brand New 17" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Apple realeased this today, has anybody ordered one yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I've got a 15inch and love it. I just happened to stop at apple's website, talk about surprised.

Reaction score
way too much for what a 17 inch powerbook gives you.. other than the HD size, and the speed.

i'm glad they finally realized that a dual layer SD and firewire 800 would be good,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
thelox714 said:
way too much for what a 17 inch powerbook gives you.. other than the HD size, and the speed.

i'm glad they finally realized that a dual layer SD and firewire 800 would be good,

How many times have we been over this:

Apple can't fit a dual-layer Superdrive in a 1" think/ 15.4" form factor. While I disagree with the idea of cutting off one-tenth of one-mother****ing-inch if it means they can't do that, they did. The physical size simply doesn't allow for a dual-layer Superdrive in the MacBook Pro 15" model.

EDIT: They also stopped selling the 17" Powerbook G4.

OP
E
Reaction score
i beleive that there is a firewire 800 port in the 17"

Reaction score
to_tough_to_die said:

Apple can't fit a dual-layer Superdrive in a 1" think/ 15.4" form factor. While I disagree with the idea of cutting off one-tenth of one-mother****ing-inch if it means they can't do that, they did. The physical size simply doesn't allow for a dual-layer Superdrive in the MacBook Pro 15" model.

huh? no need to get that way. i know why they didnt put it in.. that's not the issue. i know why they cant fit it. thats no issue. i'm just saying that its a good thing that they did it in the 17 inch. i never even mentioned the 15 inch powerbook in the first post anyways. i was only comparing the 17s.

and yes.. both the 15 and 17 inch powerbook and the 17 inch macbook pro both have firewire 800..

all i'm saying is that i wouldnt want to spend that much of a huge price difference. that's it

OP
E
Reaction score
I think that it is weard that the 17" is only $300 us more because that upgrade from 2.0 ghz to 2.16 is 300, so you are basicly getting a free monitor upgrade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
to_tough_to_die said:

EDIT: They also stopped selling the 17" Powerbook G4.

I am trying to understand your post about the size of a dual layer drive in a 15" macbook. From what I have read, the only reason a dual layer isn't in the 15" Macbook Pro is because their was not a dual layer drive thin enough to go inside of a 1" case at the time it was introduced. They now have one that will fit, which is why it is in the 1" thick 17" Macbook Pro. I am guessing you will see a revision of the 15" model soon to include the dual layer drive.

M

MJGUK

I've gotta say as much as this is pretty cool......I'll be sticking with the 15" when I buy mine.
I mean to be honest it's partly price, but MAINLY (by far) just the fact that I don't need a laptop that big. When I look at my 20" Monitor in front of me here (on my iMac) and I then mentally compare that to a 17", there is NO way I need that in a Laptop.
Especially not with the amount of books I have to carry around too :]

L

Left Face Down

I'm happy they have the 17", that means they're one step closer to the 12 or 13.3" inch model MBP. Which I am going to look into once money allows, and Leopard is out. Hopefully it's a 13.3" and not a 12, for some reason 13" just seems to be my limit. 17" is good for packing a lot of high end stuff in with out so many heating problems as the smaller 15". I think you find that with any laptop computer though, which is a pain simply put. Though high end businesses are going to NEED the 17" and it's power. As mentioned above, 17" is just HUGE for a "laptop". Which is why I'll stick with the smaller ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
If you compare a 17" with what it comes with standard and then a 15" and what you have to add to it (which increases in price) the 17" is actually cheaper. Plus you get 800 firewire and a 8X Dual layer burner.

Reaction score
i just got the 15" MacBook Pro 3 weeks ago. i love it. but i would have loved the 17" but my friend put it into perspective for me. he's like, "why do you need the 17" monitor? you just bought a 23" cinema display? why do you want it? just cause you can?"

i guess he's right. i mean i got the 2GHz processor, and 1GB memory. i dont need much more. it just gets on my nerves when a company releases a product, then 2 weeks later releases an upgraded model, then 2 weeks after that releases an even better upgraded model. whatever makes you money i guess *sigh*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.