G5 making very high pitched noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
Recently, my G5 has started making this weird sort of humming noise. It's not the hard drive or the CD drive. It's not very loud, per se, but it's very annoying.
Strangely, it only seems to do it when I'm not doing anything. For example, if I right click in Safari, it stops, but when I let go, it starts again.
In Energy Saver, I usually keep the processor performance set on highest, but if I change it to reduced, it's still there but not as loud.
I'm on a 1.6 G5 with OS X 10.4.6.
Does anybody know what this is?

Thanks very much

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
corysw said:
Recently, my G5 has started making this weird sort of humming noise. It's not the hard drive or the CD drive. It's not very loud, per se, but it's very annoying.
Strangely, it only seems to do it when I'm not doing anything. For example, if I right click in Safari, it stops, but when I let go, it starts again.
In Energy Saver, I usually keep the processor performance set on highest, but if I change it to reduced, it's still there but not as loud.
I'm on a 1.6 G5 with OS X 10.4.6.
Does anybody know what this is?

Thanks very much

Are you sure the noise is coming from the computer and not the display? I have an Apple display that makes a high pitched whining noise for a few minutes after it comes out of sleep mode but then seems to settle down.

Amen-Moses

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
It is a Power Mac.

I'm positive it's the computer. I have a Sony monitor. But that is interesting, because the first monitor I had made a whistling sound, very much like you described, except it only did it when the monitor was turned off. Turned out it was an issue with the power cord.

T

twotone

Seems to be an age old problem that never gets solved. Your specs read that you have a 1.8 but your post says 1.6 - is this another Power mac that you own?
I have a 1.8 that sings a high pitch tune also. Once when it first started to annoy me, I was told that it had to do with napping. There is suppose to be a way to turn of "napping" on your mac. But, I have been told that it could be harmful. Maybe somebody else knows of what I speak of.
Anyway, I did cut it down slightly by keeping it on the "highest" setting, but I can hear it if the room is really quite. I kinda have learned to live with it.
I'm pretty sure it is not your monitor, but I could be wrong.

C

caveatipss

An unsolvable problem that you have to just learn to live with? That sounds frightingly Windowish! :(

T

twotone

caveatipss said:
An unsolvable problem that you have to just learn to live with? That sounds frightingly Windowish! :(
Agreed.
But until somebody comes up with a fix, I'll just have to keep playing my music loud. It's not a big deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.