Looking to buy 1GB Memory for 14" iBook

N

N715DP

Hi all,

I have a 1.42 ghz iBook 14" (A1134) with a Superdrive. Looking to take the stock 512MB to 1.5GB with a 1GB SO-DIMM. The question is, will any standard PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM work? Apple's site has their "official" upgrade for $300 which is just plain crazy. Kingston and Crucial both appear to have apple-specific part numbers using their respective "memory advisors"... I am just wondering if I can order a standard PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM from Newegg? Also, any suggestions on other sites to possibly buy from would be great. In my old PC days, I had a lot of luck with Newegg and they currently have the 1GB SO-DIMM's for just under $100.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
N715DP said:
Hi all,

I have a 1.42 ghz iBook 14" (A1134) with a Superdrive. Looking to take the stock 512MB to 1.5GB with a 1GB SO-DIMM. The question is, will any standard PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM work? Apple's site has their "official" upgrade for $300 which is just plain crazy. Kingston and Crucial both appear to have apple-specific part numbers using their respective "memory advisors"... I am just wondering if I can order a standard PC2700 200-pin SO-DIMM from Newegg? Also, any suggestions on other sites to possibly buy from would be great. In my old PC days, I had a lot of luck with Newegg and they currently have the 1GB SO-DIMM's for just under $100.

Thanks.

you should be just fine with any RAM you put in the machine as long as it's the proper type for the model...

i use crucial almost weekly at work and so far their memory configurator has worked perfectly.

although i'd advise...it's best to get brand name memory (i.e. Crucial, Kingston... like you mentioned)

i got a stick of crucial ram off of newegg months ago ($105 or so) for my pb 12inch and it has worked perfectly!

OP
N

N715DP

Thanks for the input... I'll never get off-brand RAM again... burned by that a few years ago in the PC world... I stick to Crucial/Micron or Kingston as about the best ones out there... I guess I will give it a shot with a stick from newegg of plain old PC2700 DDR333 200-pin SO-DIMM. That's what the spec for my particular iBook is... worst case scenario is that I have to return it.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.